The 2020/2021 Olympics play out in Tokyo, but in 2028, the Summer Olympics will return to North America, with Los Angeles as the host. Let’s take a look at where the majority of 2028 Olympics action will occur in LA and when they will take place.
Where are the Summer Olympics in 2028 taking place?
The 2028 Summer Olympics will occur in LA, with the featured stadiums of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and SoFi Stadium. SoFi Stadium will host the main opening ceremony, football, and archery. Meanwhile, the previous home of the Los Angeles Rams, the Memorial Coliseum, will host the majority of the athletics, a secondary opening ceremony, and the main part of the closing ceremony.
Which LA stadiums will host 2028 Summer Olympic events?
- Anaheim Convention Center | Volleyball
- Angel Stadium | Baseball and Softball
- Banc of California Stadium | Soccer and Athletics (Discus, Javelin, and Hammer)
- Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier | Sailing
- Dedeaux Field (USC) | Swimming, Diving, and Synchronized Swimming
- Dignity Health Sports Park | Rugby, Modern Pentathlon, Tennis, Field Hockey
- Dodger Stadium | Baseball and Softball
- Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park | Mountain Biking
- Galen Center (USC) | Badminton and Karate
- Grand Park | Marathon, Race Walk, Road Cycling
- Honda Center | Volleyball
- LA Convention Center | Basketball, Boxing, Fencing, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, and BMX Freestyle
- LA Memorial Coliseum | Athletics, Opening and Closing ceremony
- Lake Perris | Canoe Sprint and Rowing
- Long Beach Arena | Handball
- Long Beach Waterfront | BMX Racing, Open Water Swimming, Triathlon, Water Polo
- Microsoft Theater | Weightlifting
- Pauley Pavilion (UCLA) | Judo and Wrestling
- Riviera Country Club | Golf
- Rose Bowl | Football
- Santa Monica State Beach & Venice Beach | Beach Volleyball, Skateboarding, Surfing, and 3×3 Basketball
- Sepulveda Basin Park | Canoe Slalom, Equestrian, and Shooting
- SoFi Stadium | Archery, Soccer, Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Staples Center | Basketball
- The Forum | Gymnastics
- VELO Sports Center | Track Cycling and Moden Pentathlon (Fencing)
Other potential venues may be selected to host soccer matches at the 2028 Summer Olympics in LA. One of those is the home of the San Francisco 49ers, Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara. If some form of American football is included in the Olympics, Levi’s Stadium could also be a potential host for those.
History of the Summer Olympics in LA
Los Angeles will host their third Summer Olympics during the 2028 Olympic Games. The previous two occurred in 1932 and 1984. LA will become the third city to host the Olympic Games for a third time, after London and Paris.
The 2028 Summer Olympics makes the fifth Olympics the US is host. The other two were in St. Louis in 1904 and Atlanta in 1996. Additionally, it will be the ninth Olympics overall to be held in the US. The Winter Olympics has been held in the US on four occasions. Those were Lake Placid in 1932 and 1980, Squaw Valley in 1960, and Salt Lake City in 2002.
When do the 2028 Summer Olympics in LA take place?
The official dates for the 2028 Summer Olympics in LA are between July 21 and August 6. Those are the dates of the opening and closing ceremonies, but the actual timespan will likely extend beyond that. Normally, soccer, baseball, and softball all start before the official opening of the games. If some form of American football is included, that may also start prior to the opening ceremony on July 21.
Want NFL news and analysis?
Be sure to follow us on Twitter (@PFN365) to stay in the loop on all things around the NFL. Also, continue to visit Pro Football Network for NFL news and in-depth analysis concerning the 2021 season and beyond.