‘Great Reason To Buy XX-XY’ – Riley Gaines Exposes WNBA With Fiery Message Amid Trans-Athlete Controversy

Riley Gaines calls out the WNBA over recent incidents involving Sophie Cunningham supporters and messages tied to the ongoing debate.

“She Rises Above the Haters,” that was the message political activist Riley Gaines shared on X a few days ago while showing her support to Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham. However, the transgender controversy continues to gain new chapters especially after Enes Kanter launched his movement to declare for the WNBA draft in 2027.

Now, Gaines has claimed that part of the problem lies in the way the WNBA has approached the situation. She pointed to to what she sees as inconsistencies in how the league has handled messages connected to the ongoing debate over transgender athletes.

Riley Gaines’s Recent Message Regarding the WNBA

Gaines recently took to X to call out what she described as a series of questionable decisions by the WNBA amid the ongoing controversy surrounding Cunningham and XX-XY Athletics.

“So far @WNBA representatives have: cursed out teenage girls for wearing these shirts in Seattle, made a mom and daughter cover these shirts in Atlanta, altered a paid scoreboard message to support the brand in NY, Seems like a great reason to buy and wear @xx_xyathletics,” Gaines wrote on X.

If you haven’t been following the controversy, here’s a quick catch-up. The first incident dates back to late July, when the WNBA came down on Seattle Storm co-owner Celeste Keaton. The league suspended her from five home games and hit her with a fine after she reportedly went off on a few teenage girls at a Fever-Storm matchup.

The girls were there rooting for Cunningham, wearing XX-XY gear and holding signs thanking her for standing up for girls. According to the girls, Keaton cursed them out and told them they were “[explicit] insane” for their views. The Storm apologized after the story broke, and the league followed up with a suspension and a fine.

MORE: Sophie Cunningham Fan Reveals Liberty Refused to Display Positive Message Supporting XX-XY Amid Trans-Athlete Drama

The second incident happened on August 16, when the Indiana Fever played the Atlanta Dream at State Farm Arena. A mother and her teenage daughter, both dressed in XX-XY Athletics gear, had shelled out close to $1,000 apiece for seats just a few rows from the floor.

They wanted to be there for Cunningham and to show support for her stance on keeping women’s sports female. For most of the game, nobody said a word to them. Then, over time, a security guard walked over and asked them to step aside. He told them that another nearby fan had complained that their shirts were offensive.

Their options were simple. Either put on the free Atlanta Dream “Wellness & Health Night” shirts being handed out, or leave the building. Since they’d already spent so much just to be there, they swapped shirts and stayed to watch the finish.

The third incident was reported by CNN, which found that it wasn’t just those two. At least three fans total were told to cover shirts referencing the trans-athlete debate that night, including someone wearing a pro-trans message.

Then, on the morning of August 22, Outkick posted a video interview on X with a Cunningham supporter who said she had paid to have a message flashed on the scoreboard during the Fever’s upcoming game against the New York Liberty.

She’d picked her wording carefully, staying away from anything that directly referenced Cunningham, hoping to avoid pushback. The Liberty reportedly accepted the payment and the message at first. However, a day before the game, the fan claimed that she got a call saying the wording had been changed without her say in the matter.

“I wanted to put up a message to Jennifer Sey and thank her for everything that she’s doing. And it got approved. I paid for it. That was five days ago. And then 24 hours before the game, I get an email that said they’re going to alter my message and gave me no reason or recourse,” the fan said during the interview.

MORE: ‘Disgraceful,’ ‘Cowards’- WNBA World Enraged As Liberty Refuse To Run Message in Support of XX-XY Movement

Whether the WNBA responds with real changes or just more statements saying “this should not have happened” remains to be seen.

More WNBA Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More WNBA Articles

‘The Censors Are Never the Good Guys’ — XX-XY CEO Issues Scathing Message After Liberty Refused To Run a Message Amid Trans-Athlete Debate

XX-XY CEO Jennifer Sey recently spoke out on the Liberty incident as the heavily debated trans-athlete controversy continues to gain momentum.

‘Disgraceful,’ ‘Cowards’- WNBA World Enraged As Liberty Refuse To Run Message in Support of XX-XY Movement

The WNBA worlds erupts after a Liberty decision involving a scoreboard message sparks fresh debate across social media.

Sophie Cunningham Fan Reveals Liberty Refused to Display Positive Message Supporting XX-XY Amid Trans-Athlete Drama

A Sophie Cunningham fan shares a surprising claim about a message linked to XX-XY Athletics at a New York Liberty game.