Enes Kanter Set to Attend Fever-Sky After Declaring for WNBA Draft Amid Sophie Cunningham-Led Trans-Athlete Controversy

Enes Kanter is set to make an appearance at Fever-Sky as the WNBA debate surrounding transgender athletes continues.

A polarizing debate began in the WNBA and beyond after Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham spoke about not wanting transgender athletes in the league last month.

That debate took an even more unusual turn when former NBA player Enes Kanter declared for the 2027 WNBA Draft. Now, a new update has put Kanter back in the spotlight.

Enes Kanter Set To Attend Fever Game After Praising Sophie Cunningham

According to TMZ Sports reporter Michael J. Babcock, Kanter is planning to attend tonight’s Indiana Fever vs. Chicago Sky game, which will also be nationally televised (tip-off at 7 p.m. ET).

“Enes Kanter Freedom is planning to attend Sunday’s Fever vs. Sky @WNBA game in Chicago, per sources. The game will be nationally televised. Enes Freedom has been at the center of the trans debate after declaring for the ’27 WNBA Draft, arguing the league’s own rules would allow him to play by simply identifying as a woman,” Babcock wrote on X.

The matchup gives him a chance to watch the Fever in person, and his decision to attend is not exactly surprising given his recent comments about Cunningham.

Just a few days ago, Kanter spoke at length about Cunningham. During an interview with the “America First Policy Institute,” he called the Fever guard a role model and praised her for standing by her comments despite the backlash.

“I’m a big fan of [Sophie Cunningham]. Especially when she posted that thing. When she said, ‘I said what I said,’ I was like, ‘This is the player I wanna be like one day… She’s becoming a role model off the court as well… She’s actually pushing people to think,” Kanter said during the interview.

Kanter’s WNBA plans have become one of the biggest talking points in the ongoing debate. He announced his intention to enter the 2027 draft after reviewing what he described as the league’s current eligibility guidelines.

MORE: XX-XY Athletics Fires Back at Breanna Stewart’s ‘Safe Space’ Talk Amid Sophie Cunningham-Sparked Trans Athlete Controversy

Meanwhile, the WNBA has continued discussing the transgender-athlete issue. The league held a meeting with team presidents and general managers earlier this month, with transgender athletes and the growing online hostility surrounding the debate among the topics discussed.

However, the meeting did not produce an immediate, detailed new eligibility policy. Instead, the league indicated that the conversations would continue as officials work through the issue.

More WNBA Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More WNBA Articles

‘Not What We Anticipated’ – Mercury’s Alyssa Thomas Gets Brutally Honest on Team’s Struggles After Elimination From Playoff Race

Alyssa Thomas opened up about her team's struggles after the Phoenix Mercury were eliminated from WNBA playoff contention.

XX-XY Athletics Fires Back at Breanna Stewart’s ‘Safe Space’ Talk Amid Sophie Cunningham-Sparked Trans Athlete Controversy

XX-XY Athletics responds to Breanna Stewart’s “safe space” comments as the heated debate around Sophie Cunningham takes another turn.

‘Pretty Sad’ — Martina Navratilova Slams Liberty’s Scoreboard Message Amid Sophie Cunningham-Led Trans-Athlete Debate

Martina Navratilova reacts to a Liberty scoreboard message as the Sophie Cunningham-sparked trans-athlete debate continues in the WNBA.