‘Not Even 2 Minutes’ — Fans Rip Into Wimbledon After Ben Shelton’s Lightning-Fast Finish to Suspended Match

Ben Shelton’s 70-second finish at Wimbledon drew backlash, with fans slamming officials and questioning the tournament’s scheduling decisions.

American tennis star Ben Shelton barely broke a sweat when he returned to Court 2 on Friday, needing just over a minute to finish what he started the night before.

With only one service game standing between him and the third round, Shelton wrapped up his second-round match in a staggering 70 seconds, a move that had fans blasting Wimbledon officials for making him come back for something so brief.

PFSN Madrid Open Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Madrid Open with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Ben Shelton Caught in Wimbledon Controversy After Match Halted Near Victory

Shelton’s clash with Rinky Hijikata had been suspended late Thursday evening due to poor lighting. Shelton was in complete control then, leading two sets and 5-4, 40-0 on his serve. Just one more point and the match would have been his. Even though he could not capitalize on his three match points while Hijikata was serving at 5-3, Shelton earned another chance to close the match on his serve at 5-4.

The delay stirred controversy because both players had voiced concern about the dim conditions. But they were told to continue playing until officials stepped in at 9:29 p.m. local time, just as Shelton prepared to serve for the match.

The abrupt suspension didn’t sit well with Shelton, who was visibly frustrated during an exchange with the chair umpire after the call was made. Many fans and analysts on social media questioned why Wimbledon chose to halt the match rather than allow it to finish.

When play resumed Friday afternoon, Shelton made quick work of the moment. According to tennis insider Ben Rothenberg, the 22-year-old served three aces and hit one unreturnable serve to seal a 6-4 third-set win in just 70 seconds.

The anticlimactic conclusion stirred a flurry of reactions online, with fans calling out Wimbledon’s scheduling choices when its official X account shared the clip of Shelton’s win. “Utterly ridiculous having him come out to play for 70 seconds. Do better @Wimbledon,” one user posted.

Another chimed in, “Not even two minutes lmao,” summing up the frustration many felt.

Others pointed out the inconsistency between Wimbledon and the other Grand Slams, where play often extends into the early hours. “Stupidest moment in the history of tennis,” a fan wrote. “They really couldn’t stay on court for 1 minute last night? Meanwhile, the other 3 Grand Slams continue until 3 and 4 a.m. Wimbledon is the worst slam of the 4.”

Another post called the decision “shocking” and “incomprehensible,” but praised Shelton for staying composed: “60 seconds. All it took for Ben to close out the match. Ridiculous decision last night by Wimbledon… Congrats to Ben for staying the course and keeping focused. Next stop round 3!”

Shelton himself vented his frustration with an Instagram post on Thursday night after the suspension. Sharing a set of match photos, he captioned it, “They ain’t wanna see anything else from me tonight but I’ll see yall tomorrow.”

Shelton advances to the third round, where he will face Hungary’s Márton Fucsovics, a lucky loser in the draw.

Shelton Apologizes to Wimbledon Crowd After Wrap-Up

In his post-match on-court interview, Shelton joked about the 70-second finish and also apologized to fans for the lack of tennis.

“For me, very different playing over two days and coming out for whatever that was… 55 seconds today. I was hoping to maybe hit a few groundstrokes today. Might have to go to the practice courts,” he said.

“I’m sorry you guys didn’t get to see much tennis.”

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

Naomi Osaka Hosts Coco Gauff, Gaël Monfils, Other Black Tennis Stars at Pre-French Open Party for Emotional Reason

Naomi Osaka united Coco Gauff, Gaël Monfils, and other tennis stars at a pre-French Open party to celebrate Black representation in tennis.

‘It’s Been Rocky’ – Emma Navarro Emotionally Hugs Billionaire Father As Strasbourg Triumph Ends Woes

Emma Navarro hugged her father Ben as she celebrated her Strasbourg Open title after a difficult few months due to health issues.

Top Players Missing at French Open, Featuring Arthur Fils, Carlos Alcaraz

Carlos Alcaraz and Arthur Fils lead the list of eight notable tennis stars missing the 2026 French Open, altering the title race.