Jannik Sinner Cancels Press Conference After Sad Cincinnati Retirement but Shares His Thoughts

The Cincinnati Open final took an unfortunate turn for World No. 1 Jannik Sinner, who was forced to retire mid-match against arch-rival Carlos Alcaraz due to an illness he had contracted just a day before the summit clash.

Sinner’s decision to skip the post-match press conference fueled further curiosity among fans and pundits, though he later addressed the concerns surrounding that choice.

PFSN Wimbledon Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Wimbledon Tournament with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Why Did Jannik Sinner Retire Mid-Match at the Cincinnati Open?

The World No. 1 seemed clearly discomforted from the outset, struggling with his movement, dropping serve three times, and failing to find his timing before eventually retiring. Trailing 0-5 against his arch-rival, Sinner’s situation appeared unusual and concerning, as he was repeatedly broken and even resorted to placing an icepack on his head during a changeover before illness forced him to withdraw.

Although he chose to skip the press conference, Sinner later explained his decision to the ATP, revealing that he had been feeling unwell since the day before but still opted to play the final for the fans.

“Yes, of course, disappointed. Didn’t feel great from yesterday. Also during the night, I thought I would recover a bit better, but it was not the case. And I just tried to go out for the, for the fans, trying to give, you know, a match. You know, that’s the reason why I went on the court, but it was not meant to be for me today,” he said.

 

Sinner’s shocking withdrawal not only derailed his bid to become the first player since Roger Federer in 2014–15 to defend the Cincinnati title, but also snapped his 12-match winning streak this season and his 26-match unbeaten run on hard courts.

What Did Sinner Say About His Return in the Wake of the Cincinnati Retirement?

The outcome was far from what any player would hope for in a final, but the four-time Grand Slam champion chose to view his time in Cincinnati positively. He noted that it had been a great week, while acknowledging there was still room for improvement.

MORE: Carlos Alcaraz Sends Heartfelt Message to Jannik Sinner After Cincinnati Open Final Gets Cut Short

“And it was a good test this week, trying to understand where my level is. My level is, is in a good spot, for sure, but in the other way, there’s still room to improve. So, but yeah, it was, was a great week,” he said.

However, the illness won’t deter Sinner, who vowed to return after a two-day break and focus on defending his US Open title.

“Now a couple of days of recovery, and then, you know, we get again back to work, and hopefully we’ll be ready. So for sure, the main goal here in the US,” he added.

It is also worth noting that Sinner was slated to partner Katerina Siniaková in the US Open mixed doubles, scheduled to begin just a day after the Cincinnati final on August 19–20. However, his statement about taking a two-day break suggests he may withdraw from the event for now.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

Coco Gauff, Jannik Sinner’s Girlfriend, Sloane Stephens and Others React As Eva Lys Stuns in New Magazine Shoot

Eva Lys turned heads in Flaunt Magazine following early tournament exits, earning praise from tennis stars like Coco Gauff.

‘Would’ve Had Her Way Ahead’ – Iga Świątek, Aryna Sabalenka Dominance Fuels Reactions From Former Pros

Iga ÅšwiÄ…tek's newest WTA 1000 title moves her past Aryna Sabalenka, showing John Isner that she is back to her best tennis.

‘She’s His Fiercest Protector’ – Novak Djokovic’s Wife Jelena’s Role in His Life Grabs Attention

Novak Djokovic's new Prime Video documentary elevates wife Jelena Djokovic's crucial role behind the scenes, as revealed by its director.