Tony Romo’s future at CBS may no longer be a matter of when he returns. The network could be preparing to move on entirely.
Romo remains on indefinite leave following his July arrest in Wisconsin on suspicion of operating while intoxicated. With J.J. Watt occupying CBS’s top NFL analyst chair, a new report suggests the temporary arrangement could become permanent.
CBS Source Warns Tony Romo Could Be Finished
Front Office Sports’ Michael McCarthy reported Monday that one source familiar with CBS believes the decision on Romo may already be made.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if Romo gets the same treatment from CBS,” the source said. “They demand loyalty, but give none.”
The source described CBS as willing to leave talent “out to dry” when controversy threatens the network’s brand. That is not an official CBS decision. CBS Sports president David Berson said last week that the network is still evaluating Romo’s status.
“It’s an evolving situation and we are still assessing,” Berson said, adding that there is no timetable or final decision.
BE THE GM OF YOUR FAVORITE TEAM: PFN’s Free NFL Mock Draft Simulator
Berson also said CBS has to consider the impact on its image and brand, language that makes Watt’s promotion feel more significant than a routine substitution.
Romo was arrested on July 23 after being stopped on Interstate 43 in Wisconsin. Authorities said he performed poorly on field sobriety tests. Police also reported finding an open bottle of alcohol in his vehicle, and Romo was cited for refusing an intoxication test after his arrest.
He is due in court on Sept. 21.
CBS placed Romo on leave eight days after the arrest. His uncertain future has produced speculation about a possible legal fight because he has four years and approximately $72 million remaining on the 10-year, $180 million contract he signed in 2020.
START PREPARING: PFN’s Free Fantasy Draft Simulator
J.J. Watt Could Make CBS Decision Easier
The biggest complication for Romo may be that CBS already has a replacement it likes.
Watt has been elevated from the network’s No. 2 crew to work alongside Jim Nantz and Tracy Wolfson. Their first regular-season assignment is Green Bay at Minnesota in Week 1.
McCarthy wrote that the impression he got after speaking with multiple people at CBS was that the top analyst job is now Watt’s to lose.
PREDICT THE NFL SEASON: PFN’s Free NFL Playoff Predictor
That does not mean Romo has officially lost it. Berson has avoided making a final declaration, and Romo’s legal case remains unresolved.
CBS has invested heavily in Watt. Berson helped recruit him after his retirement then moved him from “The NFL Today” studio to game broadcasts before this latest promotion.
Romo has held the No. 1 analyst role since joining CBS in 2017 and quickly became one of football television’s biggest names. Walking away with $72 million still attached to his contract would hardly be a routine breakup.
But the source quoted by Front Office Sports believes CBS will choose its brand over loyalty to its star analyst.
If Watt thrives next to Nantz while Romo remains away, that decision may become much easier.

