Canadiens Insider Points Out Why Montreal Walked Away From $65,000,000 Target

Montreal refused to part with prospects Michael Hage and Kaiden Guhle, killing a potential Robert Thomas trade at the deadline.

The Montreal Canadiens made headlines at the trade deadline, not for making a big move, but for choosing to stand pat. Despite sitting in the first wild card spot in the Eastern Conference and appearing poised for a playoff push, Montreal ultimately decided not to make any additions.

Now, an insider has shed some light on why the Canadiens walked away from a potential deal involving a $65 million player.

Why the Montreal Canadiens Passed on a Robert Thomas Trade

The player at the center of the speculation was St. Louis Blues center Robert Thomas. He is currently in the third year of an eight-year, $65 million contract. Thomas had been linked to Montreal in the days leading up to the trade deadline, as the Canadiens explored possible ways to strengthen their lineup.

According to Canadiens insider Marco D’Amico, a potential deal would have required Montreal to give up top prospect Michael Hage, along with young defenseman Kaiden Guhle.

MORE: Maple Leafs Insider Links Montreal Canadiens With $46,500,000 Toronto Winger

Reacting to that possibility, NHL analyst Eric Macramalla questioned whether such a move would have made sense for Montreal. “A Robert Thomas deal would’ve required Hage + Guhle. Canadiens need more Guhles, not fewer. Their top D (Matheson/Dobson/Hutson) are dynamic but not physical. And the Egyptian Magician? Keep him. He’s going to be a good one,” Macramalla wrote on X.

D’Amico later clarified that while those were players St. Louis coveted, they were not necessarily the exact framework of the trade. “I said those were pieces that St. Louis coveted, but not necessarily the exact base of a package requested,” D’Amico explained. “There were other pieces discussed, the Canadiens did not want to give up Guhle, but that wasn’t the end of it.”

Ultimately, Montreal was unwilling to part with key pieces of its future. Both Hage and Guhle are viewed as important parts of the Canadiens’ long-term plans, which made the potential cost of acquiring Thomas too steep.

Even without making a move at the deadline, the Canadiens remain confident in the team’s direction. The organization has embraced a youth-driven retool built around a talented core that includes Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and standout rookie Ivan Demidov.

READ: Hall of Famer Cuts Through the Noise After Montreal Canadiens’ Quiet Trade Deadline

General manager Kent Hughes also expressed confidence in the roster when discussing the team’s approach. “The glass is half full. I think that’s the way to look at it, and I think that’s how our players look at it,” Hughes said.

For now, the Canadiens will shift their focus back to the ice as they prepare for their next matchup against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday.

More NHL Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More NHL Articles

‘Blessing in Disguise’ — Mitch Marner’s Ex-Leafs Teammate Explains Sudden Surge in Conn Smythe Fav’s Production

Former teammate Luke Schenn explains what has sparked Mitch Marner’s dominant playoff run with the Vegas Golden Knights.

‘It Is Doable’ — Noise Grows Around Oilers Prying $70,000,000 Scorer Away From Pacific Division Rivals

Speculation is rising around the Oilers pulling off a heist in Sin City by offer-sheeting a bona fide scorer from the Golden Knights' ranks.

‘You Can’t Go Out There’ — Wayne Gretzky Warns Colorado Avalanche Star Cale Makar Over WCF Risk

NHL legend Wayne Gretzky warns Cale Makar about returning too soon as the Colorado Avalanche trail Vegas 2-0 in the Western Conference Final.