Steve Sarkisian Rejects $40M NIL Narrative As He Opens Up on Difficult Texas Decisions

Steve Sarkisian hints at tough NIL choices and $40M roster talk as Texas quietly builds around Arch Manning for a 2026 title push.

Like other elite coaches, Steve Sarkisian and his staff have been spending a busy offseason focused on a roster overhaul. The 2025 season wasn’t a failure, but the Longhorns are clearly retooling with the goal of becoming a true championship contender in 2026.

PFSN 2026-2027 CFB Playoff Predictor
Play out the entire college football season with PFSN's CFB Playoff Predictor to see what it means for conference standings and the CFB playoffs!

Steve Sarkisian Gets Honest About the Difficult Decisions Facing Texas to Smash NIL Narratives

For the first time since Texas’s Citrus Bowl win over Michigan, Sarkisian spoke to the media on Monday. He said a lot has changed, including the roster, coaching staff, new hires, incoming players, and high school recruits who have joined the program.

Sarkisian admitted it is tough to see players like Tre Wisner, CJ Baxter, and Parker Livingstone leave, but said:

“I have to remind myself that this is college football today.”

Sarkisian also said, “Our money isn’t endless here either,” and that Texas must make “difficult decisions” about finances and how those choices impact the program’s culture.

This statement again pushed back against the NIL narrative that circulated last spring when a Houston Chronicle report claimed Texas spent up to $40 million to assemble its 2025 roster.

Sarkisian strongly disputed the claim last year as well.

“What’s frustrating on that is it was a little bit of irresponsible reporting,” Sarkisian told SiriusXM. “It was one anonymous source (who) said that was what our roster was. I wish I had $40 million on our roster. We’d probably be a little better team than we are.

“The idea to think that a lot of other schools aren’t spending money to get players, I mean, it’s the state of college football right now. It is what it is. Hey, we’re fortunate, don’t get me wrong. We’ve got great support… I wish I had another $15 million or so. I might have a little better roster.”

As for Texas’ current roster, Sarkisian described Monday as the “epitome” of college football today and expressed satisfaction with the additions. Texas had 40 scholarship players leave last year’s team, including 24 portal transfers, three early NFL Draft entries, and 13 seniors. The Longhorns added 43 scholarship players in return, including 19 transfers and 24 freshmen, 22 of whom are already on campus.

With this talented group, Sarkisian said the goal is to become a “really talented” team. The Longhorns are already on the national watchlist with Arch Manning returning for another season.

Texas started the 2025 season ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll but finished 10-3 and missed the College Football Playoff, which is something the program wants to avoid repeating. Early projections are promising, with PFSN giving Sarkisian’s program a 67.82% chance of making the CFP in 2026.

More CFB Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More CFB Articles

‘Dante Moore Is My Guy’ — NFL Analyst Passes on Arch Manning for 2027 QB1

Dante Moore edged Arch Manning for PFN's preliminary 2027 QB1. Ian Cummings explains why accuracy and mechanics decided a race this close.

PFN’s College Football Top 25 Power Rankings: The Best Teams in the Nation Compete for National Championship Glory

The 2026 college football season is around the corner, and the PFN Top 25 Power Rankings takes you inside the best teams in the country.

‘Gonna Be a Great Caleb Hammer Episode’ — CFB World Takes Notice as Deion Sanders Gets Subpoenaed in Son’s Bankruptcy Battle

The CFB community didn't hold back after Deion Sanders became part of the conversation surrounding Shilo Sanders' trial.