Royce White is a former NBA player who played three games in the league. He’s now officially declared for the 2027 WNBA Draft while identifying as a trans woman.
White has been claiming he would do so for over a month now, ever since the discourse on trans eligibility in the W began. He now has the backing of former U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz.
Matt Gaetz Voices His Support for Royce White’s 2027 WNBA Draft Bid
Gaetz has been helping White throughout this process. He signed his declaration to the WNBA, which said, “As of the signing of the attached declaration, Ms. White identifies as a transgender woman.”
The declaration continued by saying, “Consistent with Article XIII, Section 1(a) of the 2026–2033 Collective Bargaining Agreement between the WNBA and the WNBPA, Ms. White affirms her eligibility to be considered for selection on that basis.”
Gaetz then quote-tweeted a montage of White’s best basketball moments from the Big 3 league and tweeted on Wednesday, “This girl can ball.”
This girl can ball. https://t.co/sOrv9G6XqH
— Matt Gaetz (@mattgaetz) August 20, 2026
It’s unclear whether White, an individual who was assigned male at birth, will be eligible for the WNBA Draft. Commissioner Cathy Engelbert and league officials haven’t addressed Gaetz’s notice yet, nor have they spoken about any changes to eligibility.
Many have hypothesized that the W will be fairly inclusive in allowing trans women to enter the league. This is due to them releasing this statement earlier this month: “There are no immediate eligibility matters affecting the WNBA, and we strongly denounce the bad-faith efforts to use these topics to demean or marginalize others.”
Fast-forward to today, and there is an “immediate eligibility matter” that is affecting the league due to White’s desire to play. He even released a statement to Fox News Digital after declaring for the 2027 draft.
White said, “FBA Trans Lesbians matter, and we have a right to exist. We have a right to be included and follow our dreams. Thank you to all the Americans that are supporting me, it does not go unnoticed.”
The 35-year-old isn’t the only former NBA player who has expressed an interest in entering the W. Enes Kanter Freedom is perhaps the most high-profile of the bunch to want to do the same, as he signed his paperwork earlier this month.
Gaetz’s notice to the league ended with him saying, “We respectfully request written confirmation of the League’s receipt of this notice within ten (10) business days of the date above, and a written determination of Ms. White’s eligibility status.”
The ball is now in the commissioner’s court regarding this highly sensitive topic.
