‘You Can’t Make This Up,’ ‘Dumbest Thing I’ve Ever Seen’ — WNBA Under Fire for Leaving Caitlin Clark Off Fever Promo

The WNBA came under fire after apparently leaving Caitlin Clark off a recent promo for the Indiana Fever's upcoming game.

The WNBA does not have a more valuable asset than Caitlin Clark. Three games into the 2026 season, she has already scored 20 or more points in every outing and pulled in the highest overnight ratings of any game on the schedule.

That context makes what the league did over the weekend all the more baffling to the people watching.

WNBA World Reacts to Caitlin Clark Being Left Off

When the WNBA posted its promotional graphic for Sunday’s Indiana Fever versus Seattle Storm matchup on X, Clark was not on it. Neither was Kelsey Mitchell, Aliyah Boston, Sophie Cunningham or any other established Fever player. The league went with rookie Raven Johnson instead.

The post in question featured a split image of Johnson and Seattle’s Zia Cooke to promote the Fever-Storm tip-off. Johnson, a first-round pick who was selected by Indiana in the 2026 WNBA Draft out of South Carolina, is averaging 7 minutes and 1.3 points per game through the early portion of her rookie season.

She has barely been on the floor. Meanwhile, Clark is the league’s leading story through three games and the single biggest commercial driver in women’s basketball.

The reaction was immediate. Sports reporter Jason Whitlock didn’t hold back and wrote, “Absolutely amazing. You can’t make this up.”

Barstool Sports’ Dave Portnoy also didn’t mince words. He said, “If this is real and I think it is this is the most idiotic promo I’ve ever seen in sports. I like Raven Johnson. But to not put Caitlin Clark on every graphic for every Fever game is literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.”

“Like, would you ever promote a Lakers game without LeBron? Spurs without Wemby? OKC without SGA? It’s so intentional, I can’t wrap my brain around it. How can this league be so god damn stupid?” he said. Portnoy also put up a video on X, offering his blunt opinion on the issue.

A basketball fan who goes by the username Jaihawkk also took to X to write, “Oh, I guess Clark isn’t playing, no need to watch.”

Jon Root from OutKick also offered his opinion through an X post. He said, “Imagine the NBA promoting the Los Angeles Lakers & putting Nick Smith Jr. on the graphic… That’s what the WNBA did with this graphic promoting the Indiana Fever game. No Caitlin Clark, Kelsey Mitchell, Aliyah Boston, or Sophie Cunningham. They went with Raven Johnson.”

The companion graphic in the same post, which promoted the Las Vegas Aces versus Atlanta Dream matchup, featured A’ja Wilson and Angel Reese. Both are legitimate stars of their respective teams and deserving faces of that particular game.

The broader context makes the decision even harder to explain. Clark’s season opener against the Dallas Wings on ABC pulled in 2.49 million viewers, a significant number for a regular-season WNBA game in May.

The league has benefited enormously from the commercial wave she has driven since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2024. The Indiana Fever’s franchise valuation has climbed from $90 million that year to $560 million heading into this season, according to Sportico.

Leaving her off a gameday promotional graphic three games into the season, she was expected to lead, is a decision that is very difficult to make sense of from a marketing standpoint, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

The WNBA has not publicly addressed the backlash or explained the decision behind the graphic. Clark, for her part, was in preparation mode for Sunday’s home game against the Storm and did not comment on the controversy.

More WNBA Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More WNBA Articles

Is Aliyah Boston Playing Tonight? Latest Injury Update On Fever Star For Storm Clash

The Indiana Fever have had quite a season so far. They blew a nine-point lead in the fourth quarter to the Washington Mystics, which...

‘Makes Me Sick’ – WNBA World Rips Stephanie White Downplaying Caitlin Clark Heroics in OT Defeat to the Mystics

WNBA fans ripped Stephanie White for deflecting questions about Caitlin Clark's 32-point game after the Fever's 104-102 OT loss to the Mystics.

‘Absolute Coaching Malpractice’ — WNBA World Rages Against Stephanie White for Controversial Caitlin Clark Decision

Stephanie White faces criticism after a questionable decision to bench Caitlin Clark before an overtime loss to the Mystics.