Shocking End to Novak Djokovic, Lorenzo Musetti Match– Umpire Argument, Injury, Retirement, More at Australian Open

Novak Djokovic's 2026 Australian Open quarterfinal match against Lorenzo Musetti became the talking point of the tennis world after retirement win.

The Australian Open quarterfinal between Novak Djokovic and Lorenzo Musetti made headlines for multiple reasons. The Serb reached his 13th semifinal in Melbourne after the Italian was forced to retire from the match due to injury.

This marked the third time Musetti had lost a Grand Slam match after winning the first two sets. The encounter on Rod Laver Arena was eventful since the first serve, consisting of umpire arguments, injuries, and much more.

PFSN Madrid Open Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Madrid Open with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Novak Djokovic Reaches Fifth Consecutive Grand Slam Semifinal After Lorenzo Musetti’s Retirement

Djokovic won the 2026 Australian Open quarterfinal against Musetti after the Italian’s retirement due to an injury. Musetti was leading 6-4, 6-3, 1-3 in the match, having won the first two sets dominantly, but had to retire. During the post-match on-court interview, Djokovic called himself lucky to have won the match, and that he was headed home had the Italian played the entirety of it.

The match had multiple eye-catching events, starting from the first set where Djokovic recieved a time-violation warning. In the middle of the first set, the great Serb went to his seat and was looking for his cap during the changeover, and was given a warning by the umpire. The 10-time Australian Open Champion didn’t like this at all as he engaged in a heated argument with the umpire. He said,

“I was looking for my cap. You could’ve given me a heads up, as a gentleman and someone who’s been in sport for a couple decade. Mid first set, first time I go over and you give me a warning. You think that’s fair? I’m not saying it’s against the rules, because I went over. But you could’ve given me a heads up right? You could’ve told me ‘Hey Novak, hurry up.’ Right?”

Later in the second set, Djokovic showed immense sportsmanship, which made the entire Rod Laver Arena bow in respect. While trailing 4-6, 3-5 (30-15), Djokovic played a shot close to the net, which forced Musetti to rush and hit the ball, only for it to land outside the court.

As soon as the umpire awarded the point to the Serb, he informed that he had touched the ball with his racket, conceding the point, levelling the score at 30-all in the ninth game of the second set. It turned out to be a crucial point in the match as Musetti then broke Djokovic and clinched the second set, taking a massive two-set lead.

Right after losing the second set, Djokovic required a medical timeout due to a blister on his right toe. His leg was heavily taped, and after some moments, Djokovic continued with the match. After losing two points, Musetti called for a physio, requiring attention in his right thigh area, and was struggling even after returning to the court.

Djokovic broke Musetti in the third set to get a 3-1 lead, and in the fifth game, Musetti started walking towards the net after losing a point, signalling his retirement from the match. This marked an unfortunate end to the 23-year-old’s campaign, which was his best performance in Melbourne Park so far.

After Jakub Menšík pulled out of the fourth round, this was Djokovic’s first match since Saturday, January 24. Now he is most likely to face the two-time defending champion Jannik Sinner in the semifinals on Friday, January 30, who will face Ben Shelton today in the quarterfinals.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

Corentin Moutet Performs Bizarre Act As His Frustration Boils Over During Hamburg Open Loss

Corentin Moutet showed his frustration with a bizarre act as his anger bubbled over during his Hamburg Open match on Monday.

Alarming Signs For Madison Keys As She Abandons Strasbourg Campaign Ahead of French Open

Madison Keys has suffered an injury scare on the eve of the French Open, forcing her to withdraw from a warmup tournament in Strasbourg.

‘It’s Okay To Go Nuts’ – Aryna Sabalenka Defends Her ‘Ugly and Terrible’ Outbursts As a Necessary Evil

Aryna Sabalenka has given an honest assessment of how her aggressive outbursts on the court help her play her best tennis.