Serena Williams and her husband Alexis Ohanian have come to Coco Gauff’s defense after the American tennis player found herself at the center of a media storm following her Australian Open quarterfinal exit.
The couple publicly backed Gauff after footage surfaced showing her smashing her racket in frustration away from the court, arguing that the reaction said more about modern sports coverage than it did about the 21-year-old’s character or sportsmanship.
What Prompted Serena Williams’ Husband, Alexis Ohanian, To Push Back Against the Criticism of Coco Gauff?
Reacting to what he viewed as excessive coverage, Ohanian posted a message defending Gauff and criticizing how a private emotional release had been turned into a headline. “NGL I love this energy and emotion from @CocoGauff,” Ohanian wrote on X.
“We love sports because it’s raw, because these athletes put their ALL into the battle and sometimes (like life) you don’t win. Media are gonna spin this private moment for a headline to get some clicks, but Coco did nothing wrong here.”
NGL I love this energy and emotion from @CocoGauff — we love sports because it’s raw, because these athletes put their ALL into the battle and sometimes (like life) you don’t win. Media are gonna spin this private moment for a headline to get some clicks, but Coco did nothing… https://t.co/bwcl5eHfQ3 pic.twitter.com/LLB2iARLMx
— Alexis Ohanian 🗽 (@alexisohanian) January 27, 2026
Williams also weighed in to publicly support both her husband and Gauff, amplifying Ohanian’s message with a post of her own. The 23-time Grand Slam champion reshared Ohanian’s tweet and praised his stance, writing, “Well said. @alexisohanian Passion. Caring. Matters. Nothing wrong with hating to lose. Now Coco when you want I can show you how to demolish in one swipe… Serena style.”
Well said. @alexisohanian Passion. Caring. Matters. Nothing wrong with hating to lose. Now Coco when you want I can show you how to demolish in one swipe… Serena style 🙊 🤷🏾♀️ https://t.co/OR96AHS8dS
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) January 28, 2026
What Went Wrong for Gauff in Her Australian Open Quarterfinal Defeat?
The moment came on the heels of a brutal loss for Gauff at the season’s first Grand Slam. Playing under the closed roof at Rod Laver Arena as Melbourne temperatures soared to 44°C (112°F), the World No. 3 was overwhelmed by Elina Svitolina in a 6-1, 6-2 defeat that lasted just 59 minutes.
Svitolina, seeded 12th, played nearly mistake-free tennis, finishing with 12 winners against 16 unforced errors. Gauff, by contrast, struggled to find any rhythm. She hit only three winners and committed 26 unforced errors, many off a forehand that repeatedly broke down under pressure. Her serve also deserted her at key moments, including five double faults in the opening set alone and a first-serve points won percentage of just 41%.
The loss carried heavy consequences. It ended Gauff’s push for a third Grand Slam singles title and cost her the World No. 3 ranking, which passed to compatriot Amanda Anisimova. That sting was magnified by context. Gauff beat Svitolina twice in 2024 and arrived in Melbourne in strong form, making the one-sided nature of the quarterfinal result all the more jarring.
Emotion spilled over once she left the court. Believing she was out of sight in a backstage corridor near the player ramp, Gauff slammed her racket multiple times against the concrete floor. However, broadcast cameras caught the outburst, and the clip quickly spread.
Gauff later explained that she deliberately waited until she was off court because she did not want to set a poor example for young fans or direct her frustration at her coaching team. Even so, tournament rules allow for fines of up to $50,000 for racket abuse within the venue.
