‘Worse Than Expected’ — Rafael Nadal Warns ‘No Contenders’ for Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz Hurts Tennis

Rafael Nadal admits the current lack of true challengers for Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner hurts the overall excitement of tennis.

The legendary era of the ‘Big Three’ has officially given way to an interesting duopoly of Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner. But a chasing pack that doesn’t seem confident to defeat the two before even stepping onto the court is a huge concern. With top opponents openly admitting how impossible it feels to face Sinner and Alcaraz, Rafael Nadal openly warned that the men’s tour desperately needs to wake up and fight.

PFSN Madrid Open Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Madrid Open with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Rafael Nadal Criticizes Current Contenders Failing to Challenge Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz

In a recent interview with Spanish media El Imparcial Sport, the 22-time Grand Slam champion praised the brilliance of the new generation while pointing out the glaring absence of players trying hard to push them.

“In tennis, it’s good to have established champions, like Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, but it’s also good to have contenders, and today it seems there are no contenders,” Nadal stated. Knowing firsthand that legendary eras are built on rivalries, he fears the tour is becoming predictable.

Nadal’s comments actually point fingers at Alexander Zverev. The German veteran recently boldly claimed he currently operates on the exact same tier as Alcaraz and Djokovic, and there’s a big gap between Sinner and everybody else. Alcaraz is so far ahead, and the Serb is already the most successful in the sport. This drew heavy criticism from fans and pundits alike, as the German’s lack of a single Grand Slam title completely disqualifies him from being grouped with multi-major champion like Alcaraz, and Djokovic who has basically completed the sport.

He also mentioned that, despite this gap, he still believes he can beat him. “I do have to believe it, otherwise we can just give him the trophy without playing the tournament,” the world No. 3 said. But then, during the Madrid Open final, Zverev took a very lopsided beatdown against Sinner.

When asked about this visible lack of fight from top contenders like Zverev, Nadal didn’t mince words. “It’s clear that their rivals are currently performing worse than expected,” Nadal observed. “So they’ve earned this privilege of being ahead of the rest. They deserve to be congratulated.”

Other top-ranked players have also been more transparent about this gap. Casper Ruud recently said that facing the Sinner-Alcaraz buzzsaw is tougher than playing against the late-career Big Three. Ruud added that Alcaraz, although he’s on an injury break, is only getting better.

SEE ALSO: ‘We Regret’ – Nightmare for French Open As Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka’s Warnings Fuel Media Boycott

Despite his concerns about the sport’s competition, Nadal praised Sinner’s unique feat of sweeping the early-season Masters 1000 tournaments and marveled at Alcaraz, who has already amassed seven Grand Slam titles in this era. Yet, Nadal’s ultimate hope is for more challengers. “It’s a great era for tennis, with two players who are defining a generation,” Nadal concluded. “Are there any more players? Anyone else? It’s a real possibility, and for the good of our sport, I hope it happens.”

Next up, Sinner and Zverev are playing at the French Open, while Alcaraz will remain sidelined through Wimbledon while trying to recover from a wrist injury. The main draw at Roland Garros begins on May 24.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

Jannik Sinner’s Girlfriend Laila Hasanovic Steals the Show on Cannes Red Carpet After Rome Visit

While Jannik Sinner was busy capturing the Italian Open title in Rome, his girlfriend, Laila Hasanovic, was preparing for a very different kind of...

‘We Regret’ – Nightmare for French Open As Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka’s Warnings Fuel Media Boycott

Aryna Sabalenka, Jannik Sinner, and more leading players are planning a media boycott at the French Open amid their escalating pay dispute with the Grand Slams.

‘He Didn’t Look Great’ — ‘Wild’ Jannik Sinner Prompts Reactions From Jessica Pegula, Madison Keys

The recent injury to Carlos Alcaraz leaves peers calling an in-form Jannik Sinner definitely the favorite to win the French Open.