PICTURES: Emotional Day for Jannik Sinner and His Family As Pope Leo XIV Offers Blessings in Rome During Private Meeting

Jannik Sinner took a break from the Italian Open to receive a private blessing from Pope Leo XIV, calling the moment with his family an “honor.”

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner took some time off from the Italian Open courts in Rome for a moment of personal significance. The 23-year-old tennis star, accompanied by his parents and key figures from the Italian Tennis Federation, met privately with Pope Leo XIV inside the Vatican.

The meeting, held in a reception room adjacent to Paul VI Hall, was a once-in-a-lifetime encounter during which Sinner and his family received the pope’s blessings.

PFSN Madrid Open Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Madrid Open with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Jannik Sinner Gifts a Tennis Racquet and a Ball to the New Pope

This rare audience came during Sinner’s off day at the Italian Open, a tournament taking place just a short distance from the Vatican. The Holy See Press Office confirmed that both Sinner’s mother and father were present on the occasion, along with Angelo Binaghi, president of the Italian Tennis and Padel Federation. Adding to the symbolism of the meeting was the Davis Cup trophy, which Italy won in 2023 and 2024, thanks to Sinner.

The encounter also marked the first time that Pope Leo XIV formally engaged with a global sports icon since ascending to the papacy just five days earlier. Known for his love of tennis and humility, Leo XIV received the Italian tennis delegation with warmth and humor. Sinner brought one of his rackets to gift the pope and playfully offered to hit a few volleys.

Checkout the pictures here:


“It’s an honor,” Sinner said in Italian as he approached the Pope with his parents. The pope, smiling and taking in the ornate surroundings, joked, “Better not,” referring to the centuries-old antiques adorning the room.

Angelo Binaghi presented Pope Leo XIV with an honorary card from the Italian Tennis and Padel Federation. The card reaffirmed the pontiff’s affection for the game, which he once called a personal pastime.

“I consider myself quite the amateur player,” he told the Order of Saint Augustine’s website in a 2023 interview. “Since leaving Peru, I have had few occasions to practice, so I am looking forward to getting back on the court. Not that this new job has left me much free time for it so far.”

Though his ascension followed the passing of Pope Francis on April 21, Leo XIV has already demonstrated a modern, engaging tone. He joked earlier this week that he’d be open to a charity tennis match, so long as Sinner wasn’t on the other side of the net.

“Just don’t bring Sinner,” he quipped in response to a journalist’s question, adding a playful Catholic pun on the player’s last name.

When asked about the Pope’s lighthearted jab, Sinner could only blush and smile during his post-match press conference at the Italian Open.

“Why do you have to make things difficult for me?” he laughed. “Obviously, I heard that he played as a kid. I think it’s a good thing for us tennis players to have a pope who likes this sport that we’re playing.”

When asked whether a future tennis rally with the pontiff might happen, Sinner paused thoughtfully and said: “For the future, we’ll see. Who knows.”

A Look at Jannik Sinner’s Ongoing Campaign at the Italian Open

Sinner returned to the Tour just last week after a doping-related suspension that had sidelined him for nearly three months. In March 2024, Sinner tested positive for Clostebol, a banned anabolic agent, after it was discovered to have entered his system through a medicated spray used by his physiotherapist.

Though investigators concluded he bore no intentional fault, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and Sinner reached a settlement that included a suspension running from February 9 to May 4. As a result, Sinner missed four major ATP tournaments — Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, and Madrid — and watched his momentum grind to a halt.

Now back on clay with renewed energy, the Italian star has been blazing through his Rome campaign. After a second-round win over Mariano Navone, Sinner took out Jesper de Jong and then 17th seed Francisco Cerundolo to reach the quarterfinals for the second time in his career. He’s now set to face either sixth seed Casper Ruud or Spain’s Jaume Munar on May 15.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

‘I Had To Stop’ — Taylor Fritz Shares Injury Update Ahead of Geneva Comeback After 2-Month Layoff

Taylor Fritz returns to the Geneva Open after a two-month knee injury layoff to prepare for Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

Coco Gauff Savors Farewell Feast in Rome As Iga Świątek Settles Into Paris With Cinematic Outing

Coco Gauff bids farewell to Rome after her Italian Open heartbreak, while Iga Świątek escapes to the cinema after arriving in Paris.

‘Started Barking at His Dad’ – Casper Ruud’s ‘Uncharacteristic’ Display Against Jannik Sinner Confounds Brad Gilbert

Brad Gilbert questions Casper Ruud's uncharacteristic behavior and poor strategy during his tough loss to Jannik Sinner in the Italian Open final.