Novak Djokovic is preparing for his semifinal match at the ongoing Six Kings Slam in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The Serbian legend addressed questions about his career during a press conference at the Joy Forum alongside basketball icon Shaquille O’Neal and UFC president Dana White.
What Did Novak Djokovic Say About His Future in Tennis?
Djokovic received a bye and did not have to play in the quarterfinals, getting a direct entry into the semifinals of the Six Kings Slam. He is now set to face world No. 2 Jannik Sinner in what promises to be a thrilling semifinal clash on Thursday. The match will mark another chapter in their ongoing rivalry, with Sinner having beaten Djokovic at both the French Open and Wimbledon semifinals earlier this year.
During his appearance at the Joy Forum in Riyadh, one of the questions directed at Djokovic focused on his retirement plans. The 38-year-old was clear about his intentions.
“Longevity is one of my biggest motivations. I really want to see how far I can go.” He drew comparisons to basketball legend LeBron James, football star Cristiano Ronaldo, and NFL quarterback Tom Brady.
The 24-time Grand Slam champion made it clear that these athletes serve as motivation for him to keep competing. He also expressed excitement about potential changes coming to tennis in the near future.
He believes that tennis will undergo a significant shift in the coming years. “In the next couple of years, I feel like tennis is a sport that can be and will be transformed,” he said.
The Serbian wants to remain an active participant when these changes take place. “I want to be part of that change and not just part of that change, but I want to be playing when we rejuvenate our sport and set the platform that is going to be there for decades to come,” Djokovic explained.
🚨Novak Djokovic has no plans to retire:
“Longevity is one of my biggest motivations. I want to see how far I can go.”
Kellerman: “The young guys will have to beat you into retirement. You’re not going to go away.”
Novak: “It’s not happening, sorry.😂”pic.twitter.com/JdscOqsHqu
— Danny (@DjokovicFan_) October 16, 2025
When the topic of retirement was directly brought up, Djokovic delivered a firm response. He made his stance crystal clear, saying, “I know there are people who want to retire me quickly, but that’s not going to happen.” When pressed further, he reiterated with conviction, “It’s not happening. I’m sorry to disappoint them. It’s just not happening.”
Djokovic’s Excellent Form and Standing Among the Elites
Djokovic has addressed retirement questions before. After his Wimbledon semifinal loss to Sinner in July 2025, he hinted that he plans to return to the tournament. “I’m not planning to finish my Wimbledon career today. So I’m planning to come back definitely at least one more time,” he said back then.
At 38 years old, Djokovic continues to compete at the highest level despite the physical demands of the sport. He has had a remarkable year, reaching the semifinals at all four Grand Slams in 2025, losing to either Sinner or Carlos Alcaraz each time.
Despite not adding to his Grand Slam tally this year, Djokovic achieved other milestones in 2025, winning his 100th career ATP title at the Geneva Open. The Serbian currently holds the world No. 5 ranking, sitting behind Alcaraz, Sinner, Alexander Zverev, and Taylor Fritz in the standings. Many experts and fans consider him the third-best player in the world at present, still capable of challenging opponents who are nearly half his age.
As he prepares to face Sinner at the Six Kings Slam, the Serbian remains determined to keep competing and proving that he still belongs among the best.
