‘Didn’t Choose Tennis’ – Nick Kyrgios Issues Apology to Kids in Lengthy Message After Cocaine Doping Suspension

Nick Kyrgios has released a statement after being handed a provisional suspension by the ITIA following a positive test for cocaine.

Nick Kyrgios has found himself at the center of a major controversy after being handed a provisional suspension by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) for testing positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. The “mandatory” suspension took effect on August 4.

The Australian tennis star has issued a statement acknowledging his wrongdoing and offering a candid glimpse into his mental state and the struggles he has faced in recent months.

PFSN Wimbledon Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Wimbledon Tournament with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Positive Doping Test

Kyrgios has been largely absent from the tennis scene in recent years, making only sporadic appearances amid a series of injuries. One of his most significant setbacks came in 2023, when he experienced wrist pain during the Mallorca Championships and subsequently withdrew from Wimbledon after scans revealed a torn ligament in his wrist.

The 2022 Wimbledon finalist struggled to recover from the injury and has barely competed since. In 2026, he returned to action in Australia before making his comeback on grass. At the Mallorca Championships, Kyrgios lost his opening match 6-3, 6-4 to compatriot Adam Walton on June 22. On the same day, he returned a positive result in an in-competition drug test.

The brief report released by the ITIA on August 19 confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine. The agency also noted that cocaine, a stimulant and substance of abuse, features on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) Prohibited List. However, if a player tests positive for the drug outside of competition, the resulting sanctions are less severe.

Nick Kyrgios simultaneously released a statement apologizing to his fans, family, and kids who look up to him, admitting that he “made a huge mistake.”

“I wanted you to hear this from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake, and I take full responsibility for it. I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors, and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets, and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

The 31-year-old, who has previously opened up about mental health struggles, depression, and self-harm, added, “I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injury have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.”

“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis- tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did.”

Kyrgios said he plans to take time to reflect and step away from the public eye, while also asking for privacy during this period. “However, the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call. For the next 28 days, I’ll be stepping away from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right. I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time and, most importantly, the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”

Over the course of his rollercoaster career, Kyrgios has been embroiled in his fair share of controversies. At the 2019 Italian Open, he was defaulted from his match against Casper Ruud after smashing his racket, throwing a chair onto the court and getting into a heated exchange with spectators. In 2023, the Australian also pleaded guilty to a charge of common assault stemming from an incident involving his former girlfriend, Chiara Passari.

Nick Kyrgios, who turned professional in 2013, has won seven singles titles and four doubles titles during his career, including the 2022 Australian Open. His best singles result came at the 2022 Wimbledon Championships, where he reached the final. However, after competing at the tournament in 2026, he hinted that it could be his final appearance at SW19.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

‘Nobody Wants Beef’ – Tommy Paul Details Shift in Locker Room Dynamics As He Discusses Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe

Tommy Paul highlights the shift in egos in the ATP locker room while opening up about his friendships with Taylor Fritz and Frances Tiafoe.

‘I Wouldn’t Be Opposed’ – Coco Gauff Makes Carlos Alcaraz Admission After Cincinnati Open Shoutout

Coco Gauff shares her thoughts on potentially competing against Carlos Alcaraz after bringing him up at the Cincinnati Open.

‘Traumatic Experience’ – Serena Williams Gets Honest About Her Recovery After Cincinnati Comeback Ends Early

Serena Williams opens up about her injury and recovery after her Cincinnati Open comeback with Venus Williams ends in defeat.