His upside was visible in the summer, and now, Florida S Rashad Torrence II is officially a 2023 NFL Draft prospect. The junior declared early, but is his scouting report truly complete? Let’s take a closer look at his game, and determine where he projects in April.
Rashad Torrence II NFL Draft Profile
- Position: Safety
- School: Florida
- Current Year: Junior
- Height/Weight: 6’0″, 197 pounds
For an early declare, Torrence’s stay as a member of the Florida Gators was surprisingly short and surprisingly quiet. The program was in flux under Billy Napier in 2022. But still, you rarely heard Torrence’s name at the end of game-changing plays.
Of course, safeties are almost the offensive linemen of the defense. A crucial tackle can go unnoticed, while single coverage busts can earn them the ire of an entire fan base. Tackles are one thing Torrence does well. He had over 170 combined across 2021 and 2022.
Torrence has flashed his playmaking ability before as well. The former four-star recruit had three picks in 2021. But after he unexpectedly declared for the 2023 NFL Draft, many were left wanting more from his college tape. Nevertheless, Torrence is on the path to the NFL Draft, and his talent is worth taking note of.
Rashad Torrence II Scouting Report
- Explosive, fleet-footed closer with high-end accelerative capacity when he triggers.
- Natural mover on his backpedal with experience in two-high and single-high.
- Snappy short-area athlete with great twitch, energy, and rapid foot speed.
- Has enough fluidity to quickly swivel around off the snap and track to the boundary.
- Physical defender with the willingness to slab runners who meet him head-on.
- Solid form tackler who can wrap up and break down before contact with his agility.
- Can use lateral agility and physicality in tandem to shed and sidestep blocks in the box.
- Has the range to put a lid on big plays and prevent breakaway touchdowns.
- Shows glimpses of solid diagnosis and muscle reaction but can be more consistent.
Areas for Improvement
- Often lacks great reaction quickness and is rarely anticipatory in space.
- Sometimes has his eyes in the right spot but experiences a delay in reaction.
- Visibly lacks elite hip fluidity for his size and has to gather himself before sharp turns.
- Physical temperament is inconsistent, as he’s both reckless and hesitant at times.
- Will draw himself too far up on play fakes and can be late to get depth.
- Often takes faulty initial angles against screens, allowing cutback lanes.
- Can be a tick late to recognize intent and close downhill when in single-high.
- Doesn’t have great size or play strength, and can struggle to deconstruct blocks.
- Hand strength and coordination can improve at the catch point.
Florida S Rashad Torrence II Current Draft Projection
Torrence grades out as a mid-to-late Day 3 prospect at the safety position. Despite his status as an early declare, it might’ve better served Torrence to return to school and keep developing his game.
Torrence does have the raw athletic traits that will intrigue teams. At 6’0″, 197 pounds, he has decent size and length, and he’s undoubtedly an explosive athlete with short-area agility. He also has enough fluidity to work in space and is a reliable tackler in run support. It also bodes well for him that he started early in his collegiate career.
MORE: 2023 NFL Draft Big Board
But safety is a position where mistakes can get you benched in the NFL. And right now, Torrence’s youth shows at the position. He’s not yet an adept processor when things are moving quickly and often experiences a delay in reaction. He’s also not consistent with his pursuit angles, and he can be drawn out of position by misdirections.
There’s enough talent present for Torrence to potentially command a draft selection late. And with his physicality and tackling, he could provide special teams value early on while also adding utility as a rotational strong safety. But how high he ascends, and whether or not he becomes an eventual starter, depends on the development of his football IQ and playmaking ability.
Listen to the PFN Scouting Podcast
List to the PFN Scouting Podcast! Click the embedded player below to listen, or you can find the PFN Scouting Podcast on iTunes, Spotify, and all major podcast platforms. Be sure to subscribe and leave us a five-star review! Rather watch instead? Check out the PFN Scouting Podcast on our Scouting YouTube channel.