During the 2022 NFL Honors, the NFL announced their Hall of Fame Class for this year. Out of the 15 modern-era finalists, the committee made some difficult choices and decided to honor five candidates. The process started with a list of 122 nominees and was trimmed to 26 semifinalists in December. That list was then cut to 15, of which the following players were elected to the Hall of Fame as part of the 2022 class.
Who was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2022
The 2022 Hall of Fame Class was officially revealed during the NFL Honors ceremony. Here is who will be honored this year.
- LeRoy Butler: The legendary strong safety played for 12 years with the Green Bay Packers (1990–2001). He won Super Bowl XXXI. Butler becomes the 28th member of the Packers organization inducted into the Hall of Fame.
- Bryant Young: The defensive lineman spent all 14 of his NFL seasons (1994-2007) with the San Francisco 49ers. He started 208 games during his career and was a part of the team when they won Super Bowl XXIX.
- Sam Mills: The linebacker spent the first nine years of his NFL career with the New Orleans Saints before heading to Carolina in 1995 for three more seasons. Although he never won a Super Bowl, he was elected to five Pro Bowls, 1996 first-team All-Pro, and two second-team All-Pros (1991, 1992).
- Richard Seymour: The defensive tackle played in seven Pro Bowls, was named to five All-Pro teams, and was a member of three Super Bowl-winning Patriots teams.
- Tony Boselli: The former offensive tackle played in the NFL for seven seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He received five Pro Bowl selections and three first-team All-Pro honors while appearing in two AFC Championship Games.
Who were the Senior, Contributor, and Coach inductees in 2022?
The Senior nomination was former Raiders WR Cliff Branch. Branch played for the Raiders between 1972 and 1986. For a player to be eligible for nomination by the Seniors Committee, their active careers must be completed for more than 25 years.
In the Contributor category, former referee and NFL director of officiating Art McNally was selected. Dick Vermeil is the coach that was inducted this year. Vermeil was the head coach of the Eagles (1976-92), Rams (1997-99), and Chiefs (2001-05).
Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2022 candidates
From a class with a number of NFL legends, here were the options that the committee had to choose from for the modern-era selections.
- Andre Johnson | Wide Receiver
- Bryant Young | Defensive Tackle
- DeMarcus Ware | Linebacker
- Devin Hester | Kick Returner/Wide Receiver
- Jared Allen | Defensive End
- LeRoy Butler | Safety
- Patrick Willis | Linebacker
- Reggie Wayne | Wide Receiver
- Richard Seymour | Defensive Lineman
- Ronde Barber | Defensive Back
- Sam Mills | Linebacker
- Tony Boselli | Offensive Tackle
- Torry Holt | Wide Receiver
- Willie Anderson | Offensive Tackle
- Zach Thomas | Linebacker