Insider Confirms Montreal Canadiens’ $18,000,000 Trade Target Could Move This Summer

After the Canadiens held off at the trade deadline, Nashville Predators center Ryan O'Reilly could be moved in the offseason.

The Montreal Canadiens kept a relatively quiet profile at the NHL trade deadline, choosing not to make any last-minute additions to their roster. While the lack of moves surprised some fans, reports suggest the organization was actively exploring several options behind the scenes.

Now, new insight from an NHL insider indicates that one of the Canadiens’ rumored targets could become available in the offseason.

$18M Canadiens Trade Target Could Hit Trade Market This Summer

The player at the center of the speculation is Nashville Predators veteran centre, Ryan O’Reilly. He is currently in the third season of a four-year, $18 million contract.

Although O’Reilly’s deal does not include a formal no-trade or no-movement clause, the Predators have treated it as if it does. Nashville values O’Reilly’s leadership both on and off the ice and has been reluctant to consider moving him unless he personally expresses interest in a change.

That dynamic played a role in the Canadiens’ inability to land the veteran centre ahead of the deadline.

Trade speculation linked O’Reilly to Montreal, but the move never materialized. According to reports, the veteran forward preferred to remain in Nashville or join a smaller-market team rather than step into the intense spotlight that comes with playing in Montreal.

Still, the situation could change once the offseason arrives.

NHL insider Chris Johnston recently suggested that O’Reilly’s future in Nashville may be revisited once the season ends. “You know, I think Ryan O’Reilly, as much as he likes Nashville, probably revisiting those conversations in the offseason,” Johnston said.

The Predators could reassess their roster this summer, and if Nashville decides to reset, Ryan O’Reilly could re-emerge in trade talks.

ALSO READ: Maple Leafs Insider Links Montreal Canadiens With $46,500,000 Toronto Winger

Canadiens Staying Patient With Their Plan

For their part, the Canadiens opted not to force a move at the trade deadline. The organization continues to focus on a long-term approach built around its young core.

Rather than sacrificing future assets for short-term help, Montreal’s front office appears committed to letting its developing roster grow together.

NHL analyst Eric Macramalla defended the Canadiens’ patient strategy, praising the management group for sticking to its plan. “The Canadiens management regime is smart, thoughtful and disciplined. Their approach and execution inspires confidence and trust. No trades today? That’s totally fine,” Macramalla said.

Montreal did make one notable move earlier in the season. In December, the Canadiens acquired forward Phillip Danault from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a 2026 second-round draft pick.

For now, the Canadiens’ focus returns to the ice. Montreal is set to face the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday.

More NHL Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More NHL Articles

‘I’m Retired’ — 700-Win HC Breaks Silence on Links With Edmonton Oilers’ Top Job

As the Edmonton Oilers search for a new head coach, one long shot linked with the job is more than happy to take himself out of the running.

Ex-Avalanche Stanley Cup Champ Puts Minnesota Wild on the Clock For Monster Auston Matthews Trade 

With questions around Auston Matthews' future, one former NHL veteran is already linking the Leafs captain with a stunning move to Minnesota.

Oilers’ List of Goalie Trade Targets Widens as $23,750,000 Netminder Enters the Conversation

Oilers linked with a trade for *another* goaltender as Edmonton enters a prove-it year in Connor McDavid's prime.