The Edmonton Oilers appear to have turned a corner after a shaky opening stretch. Edmonton is now third in the Pacific Division at 19-13-6 and has caught fire lately, winning eight of its past 11 games to build real momentum.
As the Oilers push toward a deep playoff run, goaltending has suddenly become a major storyline. With starter Tristan Jarry sidelined by injury, speculation has picked up around veteran netminder Marc-André Fleury, and now there’s a fresh update on where things stand.
Marc-André Fleury Linked to Oilers as New Details Emerge
On Tuesday, Pierre LeBrun reported that several teams had reached out to Marc-André Fleury to see if he would consider a return to the NHL. Edmonton quickly emerged as a potential fit, and recent comments have only fueled that connection.
NHL insider Greg Wyshynski shared on X that teams have indeed “kicked the tires” on Fleury, adding that the longtime goaltender is open to the right opportunity. Wyshynski noted that the Oilers are a team to keep a close eye on, especially following the Jarry trade, given Fleury’s past connection to Pittsburgh.
Jarry was placed on injured reserve after suffering a lower-body injury during last week’s 3-1 win over the Boston Bruins. The injury came at an unfortunate time, as he had appeared in just three games for Edmonton after being acquired from the Penguins in a deal that sent Stuart Skinner the other way.
In Jarry’s absence, the Oilers have turned to Calvin Pickard and Connor Ingram, both recalled from the AHL’s Bakersfield Condors. Pickard started Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Minnesota, surrendering four goals. Ingram followed with a win on Sunday despite allowing three goals, then picked up another victory in Tuesday’s 5–1 win over the Calgary Flames.
The deeper numbers are troubling, with Pickard (.861) and Ingram (.856) posting AHL save percentages near the bottom of the league, underscoring Edmonton’s thin goaltending depth.
That reality makes Fleury an intriguing option. Speaking on The Kevin Karius Show, NHL insider Frank Seravalli said, “I’d have to think that one name that the Edmonton Oilers are thinking about today in this circumstance is Mark Andre Fleury… I think he’s got the itch to keep playing,” Seravalli said.
Seravalli added that if Fleury does decide to return, it would likely be with a team that has a legitimate chance to win, a description that fits Edmonton well.
ALSO READ: Connor McDavid’s Red-Hot Oilers Given 7th-Best Shot at Making Stanley Cup Final
Now 41, Fleury stepped away from full-time NHL action after the 2024-25 season but hasn’t fully closed the door on a comeback. Whether the Oilers can make that reunion happen remains to be seen.
