The New York Knicks have made headlines this summer for securing key roster pieces, but perhaps no move sparked more debate than Mikal Bridges choosing to sign a four-year, $150 million extension.
Knicks fans wondered why the two-way wing would commit early. They even wondered why he would accept less than the maximum deal he was eligible for. After all, it was a season filled with scrutiny and uneven play.
Why Mikal Bridges Took Less Than the Max?
Bridges addressed those questions directly during his recent media availability, shutting down speculation that criticism from fans or last year’s struggles had soured him on New York.
“Because I love it here,” he said. “Love the fans, love the culture, love the staff and everybody, front office, everything, teammates. That’s probably the biggest thing. I know, throughout last year, last year was tough throughout the season and playoffs helped a little bit, but I think I just appreciate the fans and everybody.”
He didn’t stop there. “I think a lot of people thought I might be upset because everybody was getting on me too hard, but I think I was more mad at myself because everything they want was what I want. So it’s not like a ‘why y’all getting on me?’ Some things get a little too crazy, but that’s just life [and] how it is,” he added.
The extension was $6 million below the maximum $156 million he could have earned. It gave the Knicks extra financial flexibility in managing their tight cap situation, and Bridges framed it as an act of sacrifice for the team.
“I think if I came in here and preached how much I want to win and tried to take every dollar and make it difficult for the organization, I’d seem like a fraud, and that’s not who I am,” Bridges explained. “I want to win bad, and whatever it takes. I love all our guys here, so why wouldn’t I want the next man up who needs some money? Why wouldn’t I give them an opportunity to get paid as well? I don’t think a couple more million will change my life.”
How Bridges’ Choice Will Shape The New York Knicks This Season?
Bridges’ decision follows a precedent set by teammate Jalen Brunson. Like him, Brunson also famously left $113 million on the table when signing his extension last year. That sense of unselfishness has become a theme in the Knicks’ locker room as they look to build a championship-caliber roster.
“From the team standpoint, it’s great for us because we have a lot of guys who want to win. They want to buy in,” Brunson said when asked about Bridges’ extension. “When you do something like that, people see it. I think as a team, it’s really cool to see. Now let’s see what we can do with it.”
“You sacrifice who you are & what you’re about for the betterment of the team. And there’s no better way to show that publicly––to show your teammates & everyone else––than to do what they did”
–– Mike Brown on Jalen Brunson & Mikal Bridges leaving money on table
More⬇️ https://t.co/FNU9HsogdC pic.twitter.com/ngPvXtrdp9
— New York Basketball (@NBA_NewYork) September 28, 2025
Knicks head coach Mike Brown echoed that sentiment. He called Bridges’ choice a powerful public act of sacrifice. “The first standard we talk about is sacrifice,” Brown said. “And there’s no better way to show that publicly, to show your teammates and everyone else, than to do what he did. That’s what this team’s about.”
On the floor, Bridges has become a dependable presence. He averaged 17.6 points per game on 50% shooting last season, led the league in minutes, and delivered defensive highlights during the Knicks’ playoff run.
His willingness to commit long-term, even at a discount, only goes to show his faith in the franchise. It also reflects his desire to cement himself as part of a core chasing the franchise’s first championship in decades.
For a team that once struggled to even land meetings with stars, Bridges’ decision reflects a new reality at Madison Square Garden: players want to stay.
