The Oklahoma Sooners men’s basketball team faces uncertainty after an 82-79 SEC Tournament quarterfinal loss to Arkansas on Friday night. Now 19-15, the Porter Moser-led Sooners hope for an at-large bid to the 2026 NCAA Tournament, with the Selection Committee announcing the 68 qualifiers on Sunday.
Before Selection Sunday, the Sooners’ athletic department, led by athletic director Roger Denny, affirmed Moser’s return next season. It sets the stage for what could follow if the team earns an NCAA Tournament bid.
Oklahoma AD Roger Denny Confirms HC Porter Moser’s Return Next Season
On Saturday, Denny announced that Moser will return to Norman for a sixth season. Later, ESPN’s Pete Thamel wrote that they met earlier to discuss building the program for 2026-27. Thamel added that the 57-year-old coach’s return will include a financial boost: the men’s basketball team will get a significant NIL increase.
“It’s on coach Moser to make sure that our team’s performance continues to meet and exceed our resources for the program. He’s done that and I’m confident he will continue to,” Denny said. “But an underdog spirit will only take us so far. It’s my job to ensure that our resources match our expectations. We haven’t held up our end of that bargain. From NIL to staffing and beyond, we’re going to fix that.”
Various college sports figures responded. Field of 68 co-founder Jeff Goodman praised Moser’s leadership, citing Oklahoma’s strong finish: 8 wins in their last 11 games after starting 1-9 in SEC play. Goodman also cited the limited pool of qualified head coaching candidates as a reason for Moser’s return.
READ MORE: Porter Moser Confesses How Alec Blair’s Surprise Exit From Oklahoma Basketball Impacts the Team
On the other hand, KREF host Travis J. Davidson pointed out that Moser’s reprieve comes with a warning. If the program does not meet expectations, despite the extra NIL money, he might leave. Denny expects a better pool of coaching candidates next season.
Who Is Roger Denny?
Moser’s retention was a key decision by Denny, who became Oklahoma’s athletic director in January. Before joining Oklahoma, Denny was Illinois’ deputy athletic director from 2021 to 2025, where he improved football and men’s and women’s basketball operations and performance.
During his time at Illinois, the program’s growth in season ticket sales and average attendance was among the best in the country. The Fighting Illini men’s basketball program won three Big Ten titles during Denny’s tenure, including Big Ten Tournament championships in 2021 and 2024 and a regular-season title in 2022. The women’s team made consistent appearances in the NCAA Tournament.
As the football program’s administrator, he oversaw Illinois’ progress over the past two seasons. During that time, head coach Bret Bielema led the team to 19 wins. Denny now hopes that keeping Moser, paired with a substantial NIL boost, will help the Sooners rise. He aims for the team to become a top contender in the SEC and nationally.
Oklahoma’s NCAA Tournament Hopes Hang in the Balance
Before their late surge through the SEC Tournament, Moser’s job status was uncertain. The season-ending success was enough to impress Denny and secure Moser a head coaching position for the 2026-27 season.
If Oklahoma had parted ways with Moser, a former Final Four coach, at season’s end, he would have received a buyout of approximately $5 to $6 million, per reports based on his contract terms.
SEE ALSO: Kentucky Legend John Wall Shows Off Encyclopedic Knowledge of Former College Basketball Stars
The Sooners’ NCAA Tournament hopes now hang in the balance after their loss to Arkansas in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals. Had they won, most projections would have included them. After the game, Moser made a final appeal to the Selection Committee. The Field of 68 will be announced on Sunday.
“In the greatest tournament in the world,” he said. “You want to see a team playing hot. This team is playing its best basketball. I don’t think teams want to see us in the tournament.”
He will have to wait until Sunday. However, Moser’s future again looks bright, as he was given another chance to rebuild the team. He will aim to contend in the 2026-27 men’s college basketball season.

