Popular sports analyst Stephen A. Smith is seemingly always being called out for something or the other. Usually it’s for his passionate takes that can be heard on ESPN’s “First Take.”
This time, he’s being criticized for different reasons.
Stephen A. Smith Facing Heat Over Fox News Appearance
After the well-known ESPN personality won a “Thumbs Down” award from the National Association of Black Journalists, he took his grievances to Fox News.
In an appearance with Sean Hannity, Smith said he found the award to be “highly offensive” and called it “utterly ridiculous.”
“I think it’s utterly ridiculous,” Smith said. “I don’t know what the [expletive] they’re talking about. I find it highly offensive they would label me in this way, give me a thumbs down award specifically for disparaging Black women. I want everybody out there to know, there’s no such thing. That did not happen.”
While Smith did his best to defend himself, the internet was ruthless with their reaction. One commenter accused Smith of “running to Hannity to cry.”
You know you’re a PAB if ur running to Hannity to cry lol https://t.co/vsbKCpLraW
— THEE DMVGMC (@gwenmcdonald1) August 18, 2026
Another found the network Smith chose to defend himself to be ironic.
“Went on Fox News (a network that publicly disparages Black women) to defend himself against allegations of publicly disparaging Black women,” was the remark in question.
Went on Fox News (a network that publicly disparages Black women) to defend himself against allegations of publicly disparaging Black women. https://t.co/igbnuO7gtT
— Swipa (@SwipaCam) August 18, 2026
That wasn’t the only person who criticized Smith for choosing Hannity’s show to defend himself.
“Lol he went on Hannity to defend himself? My Lord,” Wajahat Ali wrote reacting to the turn of events.
Lol he went on Hannity to defend himself? My Lord. https://t.co/68LbV7YAFB
— Wajahat Ali (@WajahatAli) August 18, 2026
The jokes about Smith’s appearance on Fox News only continued from there.
Man went on Fox News lol https://t.co/1cHtwO52eF
— Jason Maples (@jjmaples55) August 18, 2026
One reactor even suggested Smith had already locked up the award for next year too, simply by going on Hannity’s show to defend himself.
“Yeah if my community was criticizing me the FIRST person I would want to talk to is Sean Hannity… He’s earning his award for next year right now.”
Yeah if my community was criticizing me the FIRST person I would want to talk to is Sean Hannity… He’s earning his award for next year right now. https://t.co/MEHN3ig6Fi
— Walter M. Kimbrough (@HipHopPrez) August 18, 2026
It appears as though, in an attempt to defend himself, Smith only dug himself into a deeper hole with his critics.
In other words, this one backfired. Tremendously.

