Jannik Sinner expressed that he will lean on his parents and family for support following his heartbreaking loss in the 2025 French Open final. He also shared the reason for his father, Johann Sinner’s, absence during the final at the clay-court Major.
Sinner was vying for his fourth Grand Slam title and his first at Roland Garros, but Carlos Alcaraz dashed his hopes of achieving the same.
Jannik Sinner on Having Parents & Family To Lean On After Devastating French Open Final
Sinner was the top seed at the 2025 French Open, and he defeated the likes of Arthur Rinderknech, wild card Richard Gasquet, Jiří Lehečka, 17th seed Andrey Rublev, Alexander Bublik, and sixth seed Novak Djokovic to secure his place in the final. Here, he fell to Alcaraz with a scoreline of 6-4, 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-7(3), 6-7(2).
In the post-match press conference, Sinner reflected on the emotional toll of the defeat and expressed his gratitude for the support of his parents, family, and close friends.
“Yeah, my family, the people who know me, they are now helping me. It’s giving at times, and sometimes you take something, and now it’s my time to take something from the close people I have. They would for sure be happy that I came back home with my family with everyone,” Jannik Sinner said.
The Italian also revealed that his father was unable to attend the match due to work commitments.
“We are just a very simple family. My dad was not here because he was working today. So nothing of our success changes in the family. So it was nice to see my mom here, and yeah, I guess my dad was watching on TV if he finished the work. So it’s okay,” he continued.
Sinner mentioned that competing in the longest finals in Roland Garros’ history was surreal. He admitted that, at the beginning of his career, he could never have imagined reaching the final of the Grand Slam tournament.
While acknowledging the pain of the loss, Sinner stated that it was important to put it behind and move forward.
“As I always said, before my career started, I never would have thought to find myself in this position, and this was not even a dream because it was so far away, and I was not thinking about this. And now I find myself here playing the longest match in the history of Roland Garros in a final. So it hurts, yes, but in another way, you cannot keep on going crying, you know. So it happens,” Jannik Sinner added.
Jannik Sinner to Next Compete at the 2025 Terra Wortmann Open
Following the conclusion of his campaign at the 2025 French Open, Sinner is set to begin his grass court season at the 2025 Terra Wortmann Open in Halle, scheduled from June 16 to June 22, 2025. The tournament will take place on the outdoor grass courts of the OWL Arena in Halle, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
Along with Sinner, players like Alexander Zverev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Andrey Rublev, Félix Auger-Aliassime, Daniil Medvedev, as well as former champions Ugo Humbert and Hubert Hurkacz, among others, will compete at the ATP 500 grass court event.
This year, Sinner will defend his title at the Terra Wortmann Open. In 2024, he entered the tournament as the top seed, and he began his campaign by defeating Tallon Griekspoor 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-2 and Fábián Marozsán 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-3 in the first and second rounds, respectively, to secure his spot in the quarterfinals.
In the last eight, the World No. 1 registered a 6-2, 6-7(1), 7-6(3) win over Jan-Lennard Struff and then advanced to the final by triumphing over Zhang Zhizhen 6-4, 7-6(3) in the semifinal.
In the championship match, Sinner defeated fifth seed Hurkacz, winning 7-6(8), 7-6(2) to claim his first title on grass and his 14th career ATP Tour title overall.
