Adam Schefter Confirms Puka Nacua’s Lengthy Rehab Timeline Carries ‘Huge Implications’ for Rams

Puka Nacua's recent rehab entry and civil lawsuit have forced the Los Angeles Rams to delay his lucrative contract extension.

Los Angeles Rams star wide receiver Puka Nacua has entered a rehab facility to address personal behavioral issues following a tumultuous offseason. The 24-year-old All-Pro faces a high-profile civil lawsuit involving allegations of assault and hate speech stemming from a New Year’s Eve gathering in Los Angeles.

Between the active lawsuit and viral videos of him appearing intoxicated on Super Bowl Sunday, the Rams front office is suddenly navigating a PR minefield.


PFSN NFL Playoff Predictor
Try out PFSN’s NFL Playoff Predictor, where you can simulate every 2026-27 NFL season game and see how it all shakes out!

Puka Nacua’s Rehab Timeline and Recent Allegations

While the timing appears directly linked to the recent legal firestorm, Nacua actually started the program before the formal allegations became public. His attorney, Levi McCathern, confirmed the timeline to The California Post earlier this week. McCathern clarified that the decision to seek treatment was independent of the impending litigation.

“He was in [rehab] a substantial period of time before any of these allegations broke with Madison,” McCathern said, “and he’s scheduled to be there for a while longer.”

The legal trouble centers on a lawsuit filed by Madison Atiabi. Atiabi alleges that Nacua made an antisemitic remark during a dinner and later bit her and a friend while in a vehicle. McCathern has categorically denied the hate speech allegations and characterized the physical contact as “horseplay.”

Footage released by TMZ from that night shows Nacua apparently unconscious in the back of a van while others in the group were partying around him. The defense has quickly labeled the video a “smoking gun” to discredit the claims of a violent, unprovoked assault.

Take a Quick Break. Run a Mock Draft!
Before you keep reading, jump into the shoes of the GM of your favorite team.

This is not the first time Nacua has faced scrutiny regarding antisemitic tropes. He issued a public apology in late 2025 after appearing on a livestream with popular influencer Adin Ross, during which he performed a gesture associated with Jewish stereotypes. The compounding incidents have cast a shadow over what should be a celebratory offseason.

ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter shed light on the organization’s mindset during a Wednesday appearance on “Get Up.” Schefter detailed the delicate balance Los Angeles is trying to strike between supporting a young man and protecting a franchise asset.

“He’s trying to get the help that he believes he now needs, and obviously, there are huge implications for the football element of this that the Rams are aware of,” Schefter said. “But they said it’s most important right now for Puka to get the help that he needs as a person, and all the football stuff, the contract, that all can wait until after he’s out.”

Rams Contract Extension for Nacua Stalls Amid Turmoil

The timing of Nacua’s stint in rehab creates a massively complicated backdrop for his looming contract negotiations. After leading the NFL with 129 catches and recording 1,715 yards in 2025, the All-Pro became eligible for a lucrative extension this spring.

Before the legal drama intensified, Nacua was widely expected to reset the market for wide receivers. Seattle Seahawks star Jaxon Smith-Njigba recently signed a historic four-year deal worth $42.15 million annually, leapfrogging the rest of the league. Nacua possesses the elite production to demand similar, if not greater, compensation.

Now, both the team and the league find themselves in a holding pattern as the legal process unfolds. The contract piece of this equation was initially running along parallel tracks with his offseason training, but negotiations have effectively stalled.

The Rams obviously want their franchise cornerstone to get comprehensive treatment first before they move on to the contractual element. When teams construct record-breaking contracts, they meticulously evaluate the entire picture.

Giving a player more than $40 million a year requires absolute trust that he can be a reliable leader on and off the field. The Rams need Nacua to be a pillar of the organization, and guaranteeing historic money means ensuring he is handling himself well in his personal life.

Rams head coach Sean McVay has remained publicly supportive of Nacua through the turbulence. McVay told reporters earlier this week that he “trusts the kid’s heart” while emphasizing that being a professional athlete involves a heavy responsibility extending far beyond Sunday production.

The organization is reportedly treating the situation as a pivotal learning opportunity for the young star. The front office will undoubtedly exercise extreme caution regarding a long-term financial commitment until there is full clarity on the civil suit and any potential discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

BE AN NFL GM: PFSN’s Ultimate GM Simulator

A formal court hearing for the civil lawsuit is officially scheduled for April 14. Until that date arrives, the spotlight remains firmly on Nacua’s recovery and his ability to move past a string of incidents that threaten to derail his career trajectory.

With an incredible 4,191 receiving yards through his first three NFL seasons, Nacua has already proven his immense generational talent. Getting back on the field and securing his financial future will depend entirely on how he manages his business outside the facility.

Free Tools from PFSN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Free Tools from PFSN