‘They Still Got a Nice Team’ – NBA Champion Claims LeBron James’ Move to East Contender Would Be ‘Perfect’

Bobby Portis thinks a LeBron James return to an Eastern Conference contender is the storybook ending.

​LeBron James has wrapped up his historic 23rd season, surpassing Vince Carter and becoming the first ever NBA player to display such dominance on the hardwood for over two decades.

But the 41-year-old will be an unrestricted free agent this summer after finishing his 2-year, $103 million contract with the Lakers, pulling in a staggering base salary of $52 million. If he does come back, the question remains: Will he finish with the gold and purple, or return to where his journey began?

Bobby Portis Wishes a Storybook Ending For LeBron James

During a recent appearance on the Night Cap podcast, Bucks forward and 2021 NBA Champion Bobby Portis expressed his strong belief that James’ return to Ohio is the perfect cherry on top finish.

When asked where LeBron James could play next season, or if he is playing at all, Portis imitated James’ famous pre-game chalk toss ritual and loudly said, “Cleveland! This is for you!”

“Hey, all books got story book endings. This would be perfect. Go to Cleveland, they still got a nice team. They got Donovan Mitchell, James Harden, Evan Mobley down low.”

During the 2025-26 season, James played in only 60 games, averaging 20.9 points, 6.1 rebounds, and 7.2 assists per game while shooting 51.5% from the field. While these are some elite numbers, Father Time is slowly catching up.

From dealing with recurring injuries, a prolonged recovery period, and a slowly fading role to make space for young talent, James is reaching the inevitable, where every legend has once stood.

The Salary Cap Limbo Behind a Potential LeBron James Deal

James’ return to the Cleveland Cavaliers would be a dream scenario. However, making this a reality involves clearing serious salary cap hurdles. Earlier this year, before the February 5 deadline, the Cavaliers traded Darius Garland for James Harden. This move helped them reach the 2025-26 Eastern Conference Finals.

​The front office is also dealing with some heavy contracts, with both Mobley and Mitchell both pocketing $50 million, and James Harden receiving $42.3 million in base salary for the 2026-26 season.

As per league insider Jake Fischer, James will not accept a minimal veteran contract. With the Cavaliers already over the league’s second luxury tax apron and with limited cap space, signing James doesn’t look promising.

READ MORE: ‘I Shouldn’t Have Said That’ – Max Kellerman Apologizes to Cavs Star James Harden for Donald Trump Comparison

“So, I don’t know their salary cap or if they can, whatever it is, but I’m pretty sure that they can sign and trade somebody or somewhere, I think. Okay, a sign and trade scenario can happen.”

Portis believes that James will be a good fit for the current fully loaded Cavaliers roster, giving his career a perfect storybook ending. But he also recognizes the cap boundaries.

Free Tools from PFSN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Free Tools from PFSN