Cameron Rising is a college football quarterback who plays for the Utah Utes in the Pac-12 Conference. He is one of the nation’s most talented and exciting players, leading the Utes to two consecutive Pac-12 championships and Rose Bowl appearances.
But how old is Rising, and what has the NFL Draft prospect achieved in his football career so far?
How Long Has Cameron Rising Been in College?
Rising was born in Ventura, California, on May 13, 1999. He is currently 24 years old as of 2023.
He attended Newbury Park High School in Newbury Park, California, as a star quarterback and a four-star recruit. He committed to the University of Texas at Austin to play college football but redshirted his only year at Texas in 2018. He transferred to the University of Utah in 2019, where he has been playing ever since.
Rising had to sit out the 2019 season due to NCAA transfer rules and missed most of the 2020 season due to a shoulder injury. He finally got his chance to shine in 2021 when he replaced Charlie Brewer as the starting quarterback after two games.
He led the Utes to an 8-3 record and a Pac-12 South division title, completing 204 of 320 passes for 2,493 yards, 20 touchdowns, and five interceptions. He was named the first-team All-Pac-12 quarterback by the league and by Phil Steele.
Rising continued his impressive performance in 2022, leading the Utes to a 10-3 record and another Pac-12 South division title. He completed 241 of 364 passes for 2,939 yards, 25 touchdowns, and seven interceptions.
He was named the Pac-12 Championship MVP after throwing for 316 yards and three touchdowns in a 38-10 win over USC. He was also a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien Award and the Maxwell Award, given to the nation’s best quarterback and player.
Rising entered the 2023 season as a senior and a preseason candidate for several awards, including the Walter Camp Player of the Year, the Davey O’Brien Award, and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.
He has thrown for 903 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions in his first two games for the Utes, earning rave reviews from fans and analysts.
Rising is one of the most successful and popular quarterbacks in Utah history. He has shown remarkable talent, resilience, and leadership on and off the field. He has broken records and won awards with his stellar play.
Rising’s Scouting Report
Check out Rising’s full scouting report here.
- Good athlete who can scramble out of pressure and evade contact as defenders bear down on him.
- Polished pocket passer who can attack all three levels of the field thanks to good arm strength.
- Comfortable in both spread concepts and under-center in a play-action offense. Understands pre-snap advantages and executes his reads.
- Manages games effectively as he protects the ball. Has only 14 interceptions on 711 career attempts entering 2023.
- Flashes playmaking ability as he rises in key moments with difficult throws.
- Trusted option on rollout passes as he reads defenders’ leverage effectively.
- Mechanically sound player who gets the most out of his physical traits.
- Infectious leadership due to his all-out style.
- Can fall into too much of a game manager, largely disappearing or checking down for chunks of games. Has to stay aggressive.
- His arm talent struggles to compensate when his throwing base isn’t aligned.
- Post-snap adjustments are inconsistent. He’s overly reliant on pre-snap reads.
- Lack of durability likely stems from his playing style, so he must better protect himself. But he loses value if he scales his game back.
- Turns 25 years old in May 2024, which is old for a rookie.
Listen to the PFN Scouting Podcast
Listen to the PFN Scouting Podcast! Click the embedded player below to listen, or you can find the PFN Scouting Podcast on iTunes, Spotify, and all major podcast platforms. Be sure to subscribe and leave us a five-star review! Rather watch instead? Check out the PFN Scouting Podcast on our Scouting YouTube channel.