With the 15th overall pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans selected Texas A&M OL Kenyon Green. What will Green’s rookie contract look like, and where does he project into the Texans’ current depth chart?
Kenyon Green drafted 15th overall by the Houston Texans
Green becomes the latest Texas A&M offensive lineman to head to the NFL. The Texans get more protection in front of QB Davis Mills with their second pick of the first round.
Green’s projected rookie contract
Because Green was the 15th overall selection in the 2022 NFL Draft, this is what his projected rookie contract should look like. Contract numbers are from Over the Cap.
- Total Value: $18.1 million
- Signing Bonus: $10.3 million
- 2022 Base Salary: $705,000
- 2022 Cap Number: $3.3 million
Green’s strengths and areas to improve
Here is a snapshot of what the Texans will be getting with the selection of Green. For further information, check out Green’s full scouting report.
- Jolts opponents with tremendous hand punch and works hard to finish blocks
- Sinks his butt at the line of scrimmage, blocks with proper pad level, and plays with tremendous leverage
- Explosive at the point, keeps his feet moving, and consistently controls defenders
Areas for improvement
- Occasionally bends at the waist
- Grabs opponents too much
- Gets beaten by quick or nimble opponents
How does Green project in the Texans’ depth chart?
Green is a good, physical guard with tackle flexibility. Houston’s offensive line needed a solid upgrade, and they get one with Green. He’s a mauler in the run game and has the athleticism to get to the second level.
Laremy Tunsil’s future is in jeopardy. He’s owed nearly $35 million in 2023, and talks of a contract extension haven’t come to fruition yet. While Tunsil and Tytus Howard are quality starters, Green gives the Texans a third quality starter to protect Mills.
When do the Texans pick next in the 2022 NFL Draft?
As of the time they drafted Green, the Texans have these remaining picks in the 2022 NFL Draft.
- Round 2 (Pick 37)
- Round 3 (Pick 68)
- Round 3 (Pick 80 from Saints)
- Round 4 (Pick 107 from Browns through Lions)
- Round 4 (Pick 124 from Eagles)
- Round 4 (Pick 137 from Rams)
- Round 5 (Pick 162 from Eagles)
- Round 5 (Pick 166 from Eagles via Cardinals)
- Round 6 (Pick 170 from Patriots)
- Round 6 (Pick 205 from Packers)
- Round 6 (Pick 207 from 49ers via Jets)
For the full results and upcoming draft order, check out our pick-by-pick tracker for the 2022 NFL Draft.