Who are the current defensive coordinators for all 32 NFL teams? Let’s take a look at all of the defensive coordinators and examine the new additions to the group for the 2023 season.
New defensive coordinators for the 2023 NFL season will be marked with an asterisk.
Current NFL Defensive Coordinators
- Arizona Cardinals | Nick Rallis*
- Atlanta Falcons | Ryan Nielsen*
- Baltimore Ravens | Mike Macdonald
- Buffalo Bills | Vacant
(Leslie Frazier is taking a break from coaching in 2023)
- Carolina Panthers | Ejiro Evero*
- Chicago Bears | Vacant
(Alan Williams resigned after Week 2 of the season)
- Cincinnati Bengals | Lou Anarumo
- Cleveland Browns | Jim Schwartz*
- Dallas Cowboys | Dan Quinn
- Denver Broncos | Vance Joseph*
- Detroit Lions | Aaron Glenn
- Green Bay Packers | Joe Barry
- Houston Texans | Matt Burke*
- Indianapolis Colts | Gus Bradley
- Jacksonville Jaguars | Mike Caldwell
- Kansas City Chiefs | Steve Spagnuolo
- Las Vegas Raiders | Patrick Graham
- Los Angeles Chargers | Renaldo Hill
- Los Angeles Rams | Raheem Morris
- Minnesota Vikings | Brian Flores*
- Miami Dolphins | Vic Fangio*
- New England Patriots | Vacant
- New Orleans Saints | Kris Richard
- New York Giants | Don “Wink” Martindale
- New York Jets | Jeff Ulbrich
- Pittsburgh Steelers | Teryl Austin
- Philadelphia Eagles | Vacant
- San Francisco 49ers | Steve Wilks*
- Seattle Seahawks | Clint Hurtt
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Vacant
- Tennessee Titans | Shane Bowen
- Washington Commanders | Vacant
(Jack Del Rio was fired in Week 12 of the season)
Who Are the New DCs in the NFL in 2023?
With the coaching carousel slowly progressing, we’ve thus far had a few new defensive coordinator hires announced. The list below will be updated as the rest of the new 2023 coaching staffs begin to take shape.
Ryan Nielsen | Falcons
Ryan Nielson joins the Atlanta Falcons staff following the retirement of Dean Pees. A former defensive tackle at USC, Nielson coached in a variety of defensive roles in the collegiate ranks before joining Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints as a defensive line coach in 2017. He was promoted to co-defensive coordinator when Dennis Allen took over prior to the 2022 season and helped lead a unit that allowed the second-fewest yards and ninth-fewest points in the league.
Jim Schwartz | Browns
One of the most experienced defensive coaches in the league, Jim Schwartz joins the Cleveland Browns staff in his fourth stint as a defensive coordinator. His previous DC roles were with the Tennessee Titans (2001-2008), Buffalo Bills (2014), and Philadelphia Eagles (2016-2020). Schwartz also served as the Detroit Lions head coach from 2009-2013. He spent the previous two seasons as a senior defensive assistant with the Tennessee Titans.
Vic Fangio | Dolphins
The Miami Dolphins have agreed to terms with former Broncos head coach Vic Fangio. In a deal that reportedly makes him the NFL’s highest-paid coordinator, the Dolphins acquire one of the best defensive minds in football. It’s a three-year deal with a fourth-year team option. The Dolphins’ defense was one of the most inconsistent during the 2022 NFL season, and bringing in a veteran like Fangio should help them get back on track.
Brian Flores | Vikings
Former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores now heads over to Minnesota as their new D.C. He is going to have his hands full with a defense that ranked near the bottom in a number of important defensive metrics. Flores was considered a strong candidate for a number of head coaching opportunities but ultimately decided to bring his talents to the Vikings.