The Cincinnati Bengals came up just short of the ultimate prize in Super Bowl 56. However, beyond the recency effect, how have the Bengals performed in their playoff history, and how do they fare getting to and winning the Super Bowl? Let’s comb through the archives of NFL playoff history and find out how the football gods have favored the Bengals.
*We’ll only consider appearances from the 1970 merger onward.
Cincinnati Bengals Playoff Appearances and Results by Year
- Wild Card: Won 26-19 vs. Raiders
- Divisional Round: Won 19-16 @ Titans
- Conference Championship: Won 27-24 (OT) @ Chiefs
- Super Bowl: Lost 23-20 vs. Rams
- Wild Card: Lost 18-16 vs. Steelers
- Wild Card: Lost 26-10 @ Colts
- Wild Card: Lost 27-10 vs. Chargers
- Wild Card: Lost 19-13 @ Texans
- Wild Card: Lost 31-10 @ Texans
- Wild Card: Lost 24-14 vs. Jets
- Wild Card: Lost 31-17 vs. Steelers
- Wild Card: Won 41-14 vs. Oilers
- Divisional Round: Lost 20-10 @ Raiders
- Divisional Round: Won 21-13 vs. Seahawks
- Conference Championship: Won 21-10 vs. Bills
- Super Bowl: Lost 20-16 vs. 49ers
- Wild Card: Lost 44-17 vs. Jets
- Divisional Round: Won 28-21 vs. Bills
- Conference Championship: Won 27-7 vs. Chargers
- Super Bowl: Lost 26-21 vs. 49ers
- Divisional Round: Lost 31-28 @ Raiders
- Divisional Round: Lost 34-16 @ Dolphins
- Divisional Round: Lost 17-0 @ Colts
Bengals Playoff History FAQ
Most of us remember how the Bengals did for the 2021 season, but how have they fared over the course of playoff history? We’ll dive into some frequently asked questions on the Bengals’ ups and downs in the playoffs.
What’s the Bengals’ Playoff Win/Loss Record?
The Bengals’ all-time playoff record is 8-15. Despite five consecutive appearances in the 2010s, each resulted in a one-and-done scenario.
How Many Times Have the Bengals Been to the Playoffs?
Cincinnati has made the playoffs 15 times in their team’s history (not including this year). The first playoff appearance (1970 season) resulted in a 17-0 defeat to the Baltimore Colts; their last playoff experience involved an impressive run all the way to SoFi Stadium and Super Bowl 56.
How Many Super Bowl Appearances Do the Bengals Have?
The Bengals have made three Super Bowl appearances in their organization’s playoff history: 1981, 1988, and 2021.
How Many Super Bowls Have the Bengals Won?
Zero (sad face). Cincinnati has come up short in each of their three Super Bowl appearances.
They have lost those three Super Bowls by a combined 12 points, none of which was closer than Super Bowl 56. Ironically enough, the Bengals are 3-0 in Conference Championships and 0-3 in the Super Bowl.
When Was the Last Time the Bengals Made the Super Bowl?
Last year (2021 season)! The Bengals lost a nail-biter 23-20 to the Los Angeles Rams.