The Cincinnati Bengals passing game will get a boost with the return of wide receiver Tee Higgins, but the pass defense will be short again — and for a while — with starting cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt landing on Injured Reserve with an ankle injury ahead of tonight’s game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Higgins has missed three consecutive games with a hamstring injury but was able to participate in all three practices leading up to the game against the Jaguars.
“Tee’s one of the top receivers in the NFL,” Bengals cornerback Jake Browning said. “I don’t think I can really put into words how important he is to this offense. I think we’ve got a really good receiver room, and I don’t want to take away from (it).
“I think Andrei (Iosivas) has continued to play really well. Trenton Irwin has proven he can do it. But there’s just something that Tee brings to the table being as big, as fast, and having the experience he does, where it’s always nice to have him and Ja’Marr (Chase) on the outside.”
Taylor-Britt missed last week’s game against the Steelers with a quad injury but was working his way back and on his way to full participation in Friday’s practice when he suffered the ankle injury in a team drill.
How Soon Can Cam Taylor-Britt Return?
The earliest Taylor-Britt can return is the Week 17 game at Kansas City on Dec. 31. That means Chidobe Awuzie will get an extended look as a starter again after spending much of this season splitting time with rookie second-round pick DJ Turner.
Awuzie was playing the best football of his career until tearing his ACL in Week 8 last year, and the Bengals had been bringing him along slowly, party because of how well Turner had performed since the start of training camp.
It’s a big spot for Awuzie to audition for a new contract in 2024. The 28-year-old will be a free agent after the season ends and likely isn’t in the Bengals’ plans with the amount of high draft picks they’ve spent on the secondary the last two drafts.
To fill Taylor-Britt’s spot on the 53-man roster, the Bengals signed quarterback AJ McCarron from the practice squad.
Who Are the Inactives for Cincinnati Bengals vs. Jacksonville Jaguars?
- RB Chris Evans
- LB Devin Harper
- OL Trey Hill
- OL D’Ante Smith
- DT Jay Tufele
- TE Brenton Strange
- WR Elijah Cooks
- CB Montaric Brown
- LB Yasir Abullah
- OL Chandler Brewer
- DT Angelo Blackson
Bengals/Jaguars Injury Report
- CB Tyson Campbell (hamstring)
- RB Travis Etienne Jr. (ribs)
- TE Luke Farrell (toe)
- TE Brenton Strange (foot)
- CB Cam Taylor-Britt (ankle)
- OL D’Ante Smith (knee)
- DT Jay Tufele (illness)
What Are the Starting Lineups for Each Team?
- Quarterback: Trevor Lawrence
- Wide Receiver: Zay Jones, Calvin Ridley, Christian Kirk
- Running Back: Travis Etienne
- Tight End: Evan Engram
- Offensive Line (Left to Right): Walker Little, Ezra Cleveland, Luke Fortner, Brandon Scherff, Anton Harrison
- Defensive Line: Adam Gotsis, Folorunso Fatukasi, Roy Robertson-Harris
- Linebacker: Josh Allen, Devin Lloyd, Foyesade Oluokun, Travon Walker
- Defensive Backs: Tyson Campbell, Rayshawn Jenkins, Andre Cisco, Darious Williams
- Quarterback: Jake Browning
- Wide Receiver: Ja’Marr Chase, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins
- Running Back: Joe Mixon
- Tight End: Irv Smith Jr.
- Offensive Line (Left to Right): Orlando Brown Jr., Cordell Volson, Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, Jonah Williams
- Defensive Line: Trey Hendrickson, DJ Reader, B.J. Hill, Cam Sample
- Linebacker: Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt
- Defensive Backs: DJ Turner II, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, Jordan Battle, Dax Hill
Want to predict the rest of the 2023 season with our FREE NFL Playoff Predictor? Looking for the most up-to-date NFL standings? What about a breakdown of team depth charts or the NFL schedule? Pro Football Network has you covered with that and more!
Listen to the PFN Bengals Podcast
Listen to the PFN Bengals Podcast! Click the embedded player below to listen, or you can find the PFN Bengals Podcast on iTunes, Spotify, and all major podcast platforms. Be sure to subscribe and leave us a five-star review! Rather watch instead? Check out the PFN Bengals Podcast on our NFL YouTube channel.