In the 2025 transfer portal, quarterback Darian Mensah’s move from Tulane to Duke may be the most hyped one because of the staggering amount the Blue Devils offer him. It’s a total 8 million dollar NIL deal over the whole duration of the agreement. So, naturally, anyone could say the 20-year-old is living his best college life.
It is true, money-wise. But he’s still struggling because the state of North Carolina is not his home. However, to give financial freedom to his family, he confessed that he had no option but to push through the struggle.
Why Darian Mensah Says His Duke Transfer Was Bigger Than Football
After a breakout redshirt freshman season at Tulane, Mensah entered the 2025 transfer portal as one of the most sought-after quarterbacks in the country. One day after Duke started QB, Maalik Murphy hit the portal, and Mensah visited Durham. He committed the very next morning, and it all happened last year in December.
Now, about that contract, he reportedly signed a two-year NIL deal worth $8 million, making it the highest average annual NIL value in college football history, around $4 million per year. In his first season alone, he’s expected to earn over $3 million, with the rest tied to performance bonuses, endorsements, and appearances.
People will have different opinions about Mensah’s contract, but this transfer means more to him than football. It gives his family financial freedom, something he has dreamed of for a long time. Before Duke came calling, Mensah wasn’t highly recruited out of high school. He stayed close to home, playing for Tulane in New Orleans and never traveling far early in his career.
Now, things have changed. He’s at Duke, all the way in North Carolina. Still, he hasn’t forgotten Tulane. He built a strong bond there, and if it were possible, he might go back home again. But the money and opportunities with the Blue Devils are too essential to leave behind. Recently, he admitted it was hard to say goodbye to his new home in New Orleans.
NEW: Duke QB Darian Mensah to @PeteNakos_ on transferring:
“It was very tough to leave my home… I knew this move would set my family up for financial freedom.”
Mensah is set to make more than $3M in his first season in Durham💰
Story: https://t.co/W1AteJmlo1 pic.twitter.com/3uTzfCqG3C
— On3 (@On3sports) June 16, 2025
In an interview with Pete Nakos, Mensah said, “It was very tough to leave my home. I knew this move would set my family up for financial freedom.”
KEEP READING: Which Transfer QBs Will Rise in the 2026 NFL Draft?
Despite interest from several SEC programs, he ultimately chose to join the Blue Devils. It highlights Duke’s growing power in the NIL era, where money and smart planning now matter as much as tradition and facilities.
