Italian star and World No. 2 Jannik Sinner suffered a surprise three-set defeat to Jakub Menšík in the quarterfinals of the Qatar Open. Given Sinner’s recent form and upward trajectory, the loss at that stage raised eyebrows. However, the Italian downplayed the setback, insisting it was far from a ‘disaster’ and expressing confidence that he will quickly bounce back.
Jannik Sinner Shares His True Feelings Following Shocking Quarterfinal Defeat to Jakub Menšík in Doha
Sinner entered Doha as the clear favorite to reach the semifinals, but his 20-year-old opponent had other plans. The Czech delivered a dominant serving display, winning 82 percent (49/60) of points behind his first serve.
After a brief dip in form midway through the contest, Menšík responded strongly in the deciding set to close out an impressive victory.
The Czech, who handed Novak Djokovic a walkover at the Australian Open last month, looked determined to make a statement this time. After a tightly contested opening set, Menšík edged it 7-6(3).
Sinner responded with a dominant 6-2 win in the second set to force a decider. However, Menšík lifted his level in the third, sealing it 6-3 to upset the Italian and claim the biggest win of his career.
While it marked a breakthrough moment for Jakub Menšík, the defeat did little to dampen the spirits of Jannik Sinner, as he made clear during his post-match media address.
“It’s a match that went how it went, now let’s see where we can improve. We’re serene, there’s no disaster. Obviously we are working to win as many matches as possible, these are moments that happen and I’m okay. I will dig myself out of this, I’m sure of it,” he said.
🦊: “It’s a match that went how it went, now let’s see where we can improve. We’re serene, there’s no disaster. Obviously we are working to win as many matches as possible, these are moments that happen and I’m okay.
I will dig myself out of this, I’m sure of it.” pic.twitter.com/Cdx71bDVm9
— jannik sinner files (@jannik_files) February 19, 2026
This is another tournament the World No. 2 will leave without lifting the trophy. He opened his 2026 season with a grueling five-set semifinal defeat to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open. Despite the setbacks so far this season, Sinner remains composed, drawing confidence from having navigated even tougher phases in the past and trusting his ability to work through this stretch.
“Every player faces ups and downs. I’ve had two incredible years and now I’m having a little downturn, but it’s not something that worries me . I know I can play better tennis, but Jakub played and served really well.
We all have ups and downs in our jobs, so I’m not worried. We try to improve in every tournament I enter: I’d like to go as far as possible, but it’s normal to go through some tough times; I’ve had even tougher ones in the past. I know how to come back,” he said.
Later in the interaction, Sinner clarified that he is feeling physically sound and that his team continues to monitor that aspect of his game. While he encountered some physical challenges at the Australian Open, including cramping during his four-set comeback win over Eliot Spizzirri, he stressed that there are no lingering concerns and his focus remains firmly on improvement.
He added that the team is focused on rebuilding his confidence, and he is approaching the setback with patience and composure. Sinner believes the work they are putting in will pay off soon, whether that breakthrough comes in Miami, Indian Wells, or shortly after.
“Nothing bad happened, we’re serene. We’ll try to get the confidence back. It’s moments that can happen, every player went through it. I’m really calm, I’m sure the work will pay off, results will come. Maybe not at Indian Wells or Miami, but the work will pay off. It’s okay,” he said.
Meanwhile, the 2025 Miami Open champion Menšík continues to underline his rapid rise on the Tour. The Czech now owns a 4-2 record against Top 5 opponents, highlighted by statement wins over Djokovic in the Miami Open final last year and most recently against Sinner. His strong run in Doha has lifted him three places to No. 13 in the ATP Live Rankings. He is now set to face France’s Arthur Fils in Friday’s semifinal.
