Josh Heupel’s Tennessee Faces Blame for Joey Aguilar Mess Amid NCAA Lawsuit

Josh Heupel’s Tennessee draws criticism for its role in the Joey Aguilar situation as an NCAA lawsuit adds pressure.

Tennessee quarterback Joey Aguilar grabbed the headlines earlier this week when he sued the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility. On Wednesday, Aguilar was granted a 15-day temporary restraining order that stops the NCAA from using his two seasons at the JUCO level against him.

The preliminary injunction hearing to determine Aguilar’s future will be held at the Knox County Chancery Court in front of Judge Chris Heagarty on Feb. 13.

PFSN 2026-2027 CFB Playoff Predictor
Play out the entire college football season with PFSN's CFB Playoff Predictor to see what it means for conference standings and the CFB playoffs!

Analyst Blasts Josh Heupel’s Vols for Joey Aguilar Mess

During Thursday’s segment of the “Bunch Formation” podcast, analyst Chris Vannini blasted coach Josh Heupel’s Vols for pushing Aguilar’s case because they struck out in getting an experienced quarterback via the transfer portal.

“We’re getting closer and closer to a spot which I didn’t think we’d get to, I don’t think a court is going to allow that,” Vannini said. “There is an anti-competitive case to be made that you’re taking opportunities from high school kids. But, Aguilar and Tennessee are doing this because Tennessee don’t feel good about their quarterbacks.

“So it’s like, ‘Let’s get Joey Aguilar back and we can like pay him some money to come play. That’s the frustrating part. If you didn’t get the quarterback that you wanted, that’s your fault. I don’t think fans like the idea of suing your way into bringing somebody back.”

Aguilar’s eligibility tussle with the NCAA is not the only ongoing case currently plaguing college sports; the cases of Ole Miss Rebels quarterback Trinidad Chambliss and Alabama Crimson Tide basketball star Charles Bediako are still pending.

Josh Heupel Pleads for Resolution in Aguilar’s Case

Aguilar tallied 3,565 passing yards, resulting in 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, while adding 101 rushing yards and four touchdowns for the Vols last season, earning himself a PFSN College QB Impact score of 85.

In the court brief as the Aguilar case rumbles on, Heupel pleaded for a decision on the polarizing quarterback’s future for the good of the program.

“UT would love to have Aguilar back for the upcoming 2026 season,” Heupel said. “But UT needs to know whether he will be eligible. It is essential for Joey, his coaches and teammates, and for UT to all know the status of his eligibility as soon as possible.”

Aguilar played for the JUCO side, Diablo Valley Community College, for two seasons, before making the step up to Division I football with the Appalachian State Mountaineers for another two seasons and finally transferring to Tennessee last year.

If granted the preliminary injunction, Aguilar, who turns 25 years old in June, would change the landscape of college football once again.

More CFB Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More CFB Articles

More Than Just a Game: Kenny Dillingham on Arizona State’s Historic London Journey

Arizona State head coach Kenny Dillingham opens up about the human element, logistical hurdles, and cultural impact of the Sun Devils' 2026 trip to London.

‘NCAA Is Most Scared’ — Pat McAfee Sounds Off As New Details Emerge on Sorsby Lawsuit Judge

Texas Tech quarterback Brendan Sorsby's gambling addiction controversy took another turn on Monday when he filed for an injunction against the NCAA to fight...

‘It’s Cooked’ — CFB World Reacts As Massive Twist Emerges Involving Judge in Brendan Sorsby’s NCAA Lawsuit

The college football landscape is no stranger to courtroom drama, but the latest legal battle involving Texas Tech quarterback Brendan Sorsby keeps on taking...