Andy Roddick Rejects ‘Stupid’ Claim About Carlos Alcaraz’s Former Coach Juan Carlos Ferrero After His Australian Open Win

American tennis great Andy Roddick recently shared his thoughts on the idea that Alcaraz didn’t need Juan Carlos Ferrero to claim the Australian Open.

American tennis legend Andy Roddick recently weighed in on the notion that Carlos Alcaraz did not need Juan Carlos Ferrero to win the Australian Open. Known for his forthright views, Roddick dismissed that narrative, instead emphasizing Ferrero’s crucial role in laying the foundation for Alcaraz’s dominance and sustained success.

PFSN Madrid Open Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Madrid Open with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

Andy Roddick Gets Honest on ‘Disrespectful’ Narrative About Carlos Alcaraz’s Former Coach Juan Carlos Ferrero Following Australian Open Win

Alcaraz created history by becoming the youngest player in the Open Era to complete a career Grand Slam with his victory at the 2026 Australian Open. Despite dropping the opening set 2–6 to Novak Djokovic, the World No. 1 kept his composure and staged a strong comeback, winning the next three sets 6–2, 6–3, 7–5 to claim his seventh Grand Slam title.

The Australian Open triumph comes against the backdrop of a major development from last year. Alcaraz sent shockwaves through the tennis world by announcing his split with longtime coach Ferrero, who had been instrumental in shaping his career since 2018. Under Ferrero’s guidance, Alcaraz captured 24 tour titles, including six Grand Slams, and enjoyed multiple stints at the top of the ATP rankings.

The decision raised questions around Alcaraz, with fans and pundits alike expressing concern over whether his trajectory would remain as seamless going forward. He decisively flipped that narrative by winning the Australian Open and later admitted in his post-match press conference that he was happy to ‘prove people wrong.’

However, Roddick isn’t among those agreeing to it. On his YouTube channel, the 43-year-old emphasized that while Alcaraz’s Australian Open win without Ferrero is impressive, Ferrero’s role in shaping his development remains integral.

“There’s a couple of things. Anyone who is like “See he doesn’t need JCF (Juan Carlos Ferrero).” Okay. One, widely impressive with all this upheaval that he’s able to go in there and win a slam. Crazy, good job team. Also, forever the product of Carlos will be tied to the development work that JCF and Carlos did. And he’s like “This Slam was without JCF.” No slam will be without JCF for the remainder of his career. Right?” he said.

“That’s like saying we did a renovation and you still aren’t thankful for the foundation of your house not cracking. Just cause you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not one of the most important pieces of the puzzle. Unbelievable effort. Talent wins, credit to his team for calming the storm. Lot of question marks. Had he struggled early, we would have all been wondering and rightfully so. Like that’s a natural conversation to have,” he added.

MORE: Carlos Alcaraz Reveals He Blocked People’s Noise Ahead of Australian Open in a Message to the New Team After Coaching Separation

With the win on Sunday, Alcaraz improved his head-to-head record to 5-5 against Djokovic. He also became the sixth male player in the Open Era to complete the Career Grand Slam after Rod Laver, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Djokovic. Roddick continued:

“I think this was a massive win just to kind of close that door, close that chapter. I mean, they split on like December 17th and here we are February 1st and he has quieted that narrative. Crazy. And props this JCF like the machine that you helped create, whatever the next steps are and however it goes from here. You can’t forget the work, and the time and the process and the practice and the development and those teaching moments,” he said.

Roddick stressed that claiming Alcaraz doesn’t need Ferrero is wrong and disrespectful. He emphasized that the Spaniard’s success is the result of deliberate work, guidance, and process.

“You cannot forget those offhand. Don’t write an article he doesn’t need JCF. That’s stupid, it’s disrespectful. It does nothing to understand the process. Nothing that happens with Carlos is an accident,” he concluded.

After capturing a title that had long eluded him, Alcaraz heads into the rest of the season brimming with confidence. Meanwhile, Djokovic’s quest for a 25th Grand Slam continues, leaving questions about whether he can maintain his peak form amid career uncertainties.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

‘Sucks To See’ – Sabres Heiress Jessica Pegula Defends Her Reaction to No-Goal Drama After ‘Raging’ Backlash

Jessica Pegula clarifies her comments on the Buffalo Sabres' Game Seven disallowed goal to silence angry internet fans.

‘I Miss My Family’ – Jannik Sinner Defends Living in Monaco As Being Worth the ‘Sacrifices’

Jannik Sinner defends his controversial decision to reside in Monaco, admitting he had to sacrifice family time to achieve success.

‘Wanna Go Outside?’ – Pedro Martinez’s Fiery Confrontation With French Open Rival Forces Umpire Intervention

Pedro Martinez’s fiery post-match confrontation with nineteen-year-old Rei Sakamoto at the French Open forces the chair umpire to intervene.