Maple Leafs Fans Outraged at $18,000,000 Forward Putting Toronto on his No-Trade List

Maple Leafs fans react strongly after reports surface that a former Toronto forward placed the team on his no-trade list, reopening old frustrations.

The Toronto Maple Leafs need energy to rejuvenate their lineup, especially amid the challenges they are facing. After their offseason changes, they entered this season with hope, but so far their performance has only invited scrutiny. With the standings getting tighter and patience turning into exhaustion, even off-ice stories have started to draw strong reactions.

That tension resurfaced this week when a former Leaf’s name reentered the conversation, triggering frustration that stretched beyond roster needs and into old wounds.

Maple Leafs Fans React to $18 Million Forward Including Toronto in His No-Trade List

The reaction came after reports surfaced that Mason Marchment had Toronto on his partial no-trade list, a detail that circulated online and struck a nerve with Maple Leafs fans. The timing stood out, as Toronto is searching for stability while holding a 17-15-6 record and sitting eighth in the Atlantic Division, once again caught between promise and disappointment.

Marchment was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets on December 19 after a brief stint with the Seattle Kraken, signing a four-year, $18 million contract that carries a $4.5 million cap hit.

During a discussion on the “FAN Hockey Show”, Mike Futa and Elliotte Friedman addressed the situation, with Friedman stating that he believed Marchment had a partial no-trade clause and that Columbus was not included in it, meaning he did not need to waive it to complete the deal.

That detail added fuel to the reaction, especially given Marchment’s history with Toronto. He signed his first AHL deal with the Leafs in 2016, earned an entry-level contract in 2018, and made his NHL debut during the 2019–20 season. Despite limited opportunities, he appeared in four games and recorded one assist before being traded to Florida, where his career eventually took off.

One fan reaction focused on how Marchment’s time with the Leafs shaped his NHL career. “The guy is from southern Ontario and put the Leafs on his no-trade list, the same organization that taught him how to skate well enough to have a long NHL career. Enjoy the last-place Blue Jackets,” the fan said, capturing the disbelief felt by some supporters.

Another fan pointed out that the heat players face in Toronto is due to media attention and engaged supporters. He said, “The fire is hot in TO. Requires thick skin,” pointing to Marchment being a soft player, not able to handle the scrutiny much.

As the discussion continued, others shifted the focus toward Marchment’s experience during his early years with the organization. One fan suggested there were unresolved issues, saying, “I can’t remember who said it (I think it was CJ), but apparently Mason didn’t like how he was handled during his first run with the Leafs.” That comment framed the decision less as a snub and more as a response to past treatment.

One fan argued the decision was logical rather than personal. “Why would you want to go to an organization that gave up on you?” he wrote, adding that similar cases made the reaction feel overblown.

READ MORE: Maple Leafs’ Sloppiness Sinks to a New Low After 3–2 Loss to Detroit

Marchment, now 30, has established himself in the NHL despite going undrafted. He has played meaningful roles with several teams over the years, especially in Dallas.

More NHL Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More NHL Articles

Maple Leafs Warned to Watch Out as Insider Links Buffalo Sabres With $59,500,000 Team USA Star

The Sabres’ rapid rise puts the Maple Leafs on alert as Buffalo looks to strengthen its roster with a potential blockbuster of a trade.

‘It’s Not Like He Was Terrible’ — Alex Tuch’s Agent Comes Out Swinging as Oilers Lurk For Buy-Low Opportunity

Alex Tuch’s agent pushes back on playoff criticism as the Oilers monitor a possible buy-low opportunity this offseason.

Maple Leafs Rumors: John Chayka’s Radical Plan For Auston Matthews Comes to Light

NHL insider Chris Johnston reveals John Chayka’s bold Maple Leafs rebuild plan, with Auston Matthews untouchable in Toronto.