Dabo Swinney tested transfer wide receiver Tristan Smith this season to see if he could compete with the FBS’ top players, especially those in the ACC. Over eight games, Smith demonstrated potential by catching 22 passes for 229 yards and scoring one touchdown in Clemson’s 35-24 loss to SMU last October.
After showing promise in his first season with Clemson, Smith, who previously played two junior college seasons before transferring to Southeast Missouri State and then Clemson, has a chance to play next season if the NCAA grants his petition to secure another year of eligibility. Swinney indicated that he will do his best to help him secure that bid.
Dabo Swinney Says Clemson Willing To Do Everything To Help Tristan Smith Secure Another Year of Eligibility
On Friday, Swinney was asked about Clemson’s willingness to support Smith’s eligibility petition during a press conference for the Pinstripe Bowl against Penn State. The Tigers’ coach was positive about helping the senior wide receiver gain one more season, as he sees Smith as someone who can take his talents to the NFL.
“Obviously at some point, something will have to break there, because he’s got a chance to go play at the next level,” Swinney said. “I know he’d like to come back, but we’ll just have to see how it all plays out, and go from there.”
The 6’5″ Smith could secure another year of eligibility through a petition or secure an NCAA waiver following the case of Vanderbilt quarterback Diego Pavia, who received a blanket waiver from the NCAA.
The waiver grants athletes who previously completed their eligibility at a non-NCAA school for one or more years and would have completed their eligibility following the 2024-25 season an additional year of eligibility.
MORE: Dabo Swinney Reveals Extreme Weather Test That Might Boost Cade Klubnik’s NFL Stock
However, this ruling is applicable to athletes who are given four years to complete their eligibility within five years of first enrolling at any college. This measure has caused other JUCO athletes to file lawsuits against the NCAA.
Smith played two seasons at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. He suited up for 17 games, accumulating 231 yards and two touchdowns. He attended Southeast Missouri State, an FCS program, last year and had a breakout season, catching 934 yards on 76 passes with six touchdowns.
Swinney designated Smith as a depth receiver alongside Tyler Brown and Cole Turner this season, and he caught his longest yardage of 23 yards twice against Syracuse and SMU.
Smith was one of the three transfer portal additions signed last offseason. The other two were Jeremiah Alexander and Will Heldt. And if Smith doesn’t get his petition granted, Swinney could recruit more players for the upcoming season to achieve what he deems a competitive team that will bring the Tigers back to contender status in college football.
