Just a month ago, Miami Hurricanes quarterback Carson Beck was at the center of Heisman Trophy conversations. Now, he’s grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons.
A string of costly interceptions has not only derailed his Heisman campaign but has also put a spotlight on his massive price tag, raising serious questions in Miami about whether the team’s star quarterback is living up to the eye-opening NIL deal that took him from the Georgia Bulldogs to the ‘Canes.
Is Miami’s Investment in Carson Beck Backfiring?
The latest misstep occurred in the Hurricanes’ 26-20 overtime loss to the SMU Mustangs in Week 10, when Beck threw a game-ending interception. This marked his second pick of the day and his sixth in the last three games, following a four-interception performance in a Week 8 loss to the Louisville Cardinals.
That troubling trend has caused Beck to tumble out of the Heisman Trophy race, a conversation he was leading just weeks ago.
The quarterback’s hefty price tag became a major topic on Wednesday’s segment of the “Triple Option” podcast, where analysts Mark Ingram and Urban Meyer blasted the Hurricanes for the investment. “They said it was anywhere in the neighborhood of $4-6 million to go to Miami,” Ingram said. “And then they said, in the last 12 months, he has accumulated close to $10 million, that’s what they said.”
Ingram placed the blame for Miami’s losses squarely on Beck’s shoulders, drawing a direct line between the money paid and the turnovers. “Turnovers will cause you to lose football games,” Ingram stated.
“Unfortunately, in big games, Carson Beck has several interceptions. He has nine this year, and six have come in losses. They’re not always your fault, but they go under your stats. And right now, nine interceptions, $10 million, the boy is getting a million per INT.”
So far this season, Beck has tallied 1,947 passing yards, 14 touchdowns, and nine interceptions, while adding 51 rushing yards and one score on the ground.
Why Is Beck Shifting Blame to the Coaching Staff?
After the loss to SMU, Beck deflected responsibility for the offensive mistakes, just two weeks after he had blamed teammates for running incorrect routes against Louisville. In his postgame press conference, Beck seemed to point fingers at the Miami coaching staff.
“They (SMU) ran the same [defense] the whole time. I just executed the play that’s called,” Beck said. “If I’m given the opportunity to, if I see something, change something, then I will. But, again, I just execute the play that’s called.”
Meyer, however, defended the quarterback’s comments.
“Yeah, I’m okay with it,” Meyer said. “First of all, you look at that guy, he’s crashed right now. That’s not as bad as I thought and here’s the reality, there’s 21 interceptions in his last 20 games, that’s going back to his time at the University of Georgia. He does have a really great skillset, but that’s like a tailback that fumbles, those are enders.”
Despite putting up 433 total yards against the Mustangs, the overtime interception killed any momentum the Hurricanes had built. Following two losses as heavy favorites, Beck’s team now holds a 6-2 record. This downturn has created a difficult path to the ACC championship game and left their College Football Playoff hopes hanging by a thread.

Who wrote this nonsense… he’s not being paid even half this figure 🤦♂️
Hi Mark, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the article. The numbers mentioned here refer to a direct quote from a conversation between Mark Ingram and Urban Meyer. Ingram asserts that he was paid that figure.
“They said it was anywhere in the neighborhood of $4-6 million to go to Miami,” Ingram said. “And then they said, in the last 12 months, he has accumulated close to $10 million, that’s what they said.”
In order to avoid any further confusion, we’ve amended the title of the article.
Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond,
Oliver Hodgkinson (Deputy Editor)
What an idiot. Beck was paid a little over 3 million. All other Nil earnings are from endorsements genius.
Hey Ross, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the article. The numbers mentioned here refer to a direct quote from a conversation between Mark Ingram and Urban Meyer, where Ingram asserts that the Miami quarterback had made $10m in the past 12 months. Beck’s deal to go to Miami was a guaranteed $4m with the potential to go beyond $6m with incentives.
In order to avoid any further confusion, we’ve amended the title of the article.
Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond,
Oliver Hodgkinson (Deputy Editor)