Jannik Sinner Remains Firm on Davis Cup Decision Despite Severe Backlash

Despite being criticized for withdrawing from the Davis Cup Finals, Jannik Sinner stood firm on his decision regarding participation in the tournament.

The tennis community and the Italian media harshly criticized Jannik Sinner’s decision to withdraw from the 2025 Davis Cup Finals. Despite this significant backlash, the former World No. 1 recently reiterated his stance on his participation in the tournament.

The 2025 Davis Cup Finals will take place from November 18 to November 23 at the Bologna Fiere exhibition center in Bologna, Italy. In addition to Italy, countries like Austria, France, Belgium, Spain, the Czech Republic, Argentina, and Germany will also compete at the tournament.

Italy is the two-time defending champion, having won the title in 2023 by defeating Australia in the final and winning again in 2024 by triumphing over the Netherlands.

PFSN Madrid Open Simulator
Predict every match of the 2026 Madrid Open with our interactive tennis predictor—featuring all players and PFSN's exclusive metrics.

What Did Jannik Sinner Say About His Davis Cup Withdrawal?

Earlier this month, Sinner announced his withdrawal from the 2025 Davis Cup Finals, stating that he has already won the tournament twice and is stepping back to rest and prepare for the 2026 season.

“I’ve already won the Davis Cup twice. I decided with my team to do this because the season is very long and I need an extra week of rest to properly start my preparation for 2026. My goal is to be in good shape for Australia. In the last two years, I didn’t arrive in top form because I had little time,” Sinner said.

Currently, Sinner is in Paris for the 2025 Paris Masters. During a pre-tournament press conference, he was asked if he would reconsider his decision to withdraw and represent Italy at the Davis Cup Finals.

In response, Sinner remained firm in his decision, stating that he would not be participating in the Davis Cup Finals. He further mentioned that he has already addressed the topic of his withdrawal and does not wish to discuss it any further.

“No, the decision is made. But I said already everything about the thing some days ago,” Sinner said.

Sinner last competed at the 2025 Vienna Open, where he defeated Alexander Zverev in the final. He earned his second Vienna Open title and his 22nd career ATP Tour title.

Who Will Jannik Sinner Face at the 2025 Paris Masters 2R?

Sinner is seeded second at the 2025 Paris Masters and will begin his campaign in the second round after receiving a first-round bye. He will open his run at the tournament by facing Zizou Bergs in his opening match.

In the lead-up to the ATP Masters 1000 hard-court tournament in Paris, Bergs competed at the 2025 Shanghai Masters. He defeated Sebastian Korda(6-4, 7-5) in the first round and then overcame 11th seed Casper Ruud (6-3, 7-5, 4-1 retd.) in the second round.

The Belgian triumphed over 19th seed Francisco Cerúndolo (7-6(1), 6-3) and 31st seed Gabriel Diallo (3-6, 7-5, 7-6(8)) in the third and fourth rounds, respectively. Bergs’ campaign in Shanghai ended in the quarterfinals when he was eliminated by fourth seed Novak Djokovic (6-3, 7-5).

At the 2025 Paris Masters, Bergs secured his place in the second round against Sinner by defeating Alex Michelsen with a scoreline of 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 in the first round.

Sinner and Bergs have never faced each other on the ATP Tour, and their upcoming second-round match at the ATP Masters 1000 hard court tournament will mark the first time these two players go up against one another. The winner of the match will advance to face either 17th seed Francisco Cerúndolo or Miomir Kecmanović in the third round.

More Tennis Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Tennis Articles

‘Tread Carefully’ – Iga Świątek Warning Emerges As French Open Nears

Andy Roddick has sent an alert about Iga ÅšwiÄ…tek, as the Pole navigates her path ahead of the 2026 French Open.

‘If I’m Djokovic, I’m Skipping Roland Garros’ — Carlos Alcaraz Stuns Tennis Community With Wimbledon Blow

The tennis community reacted in disbelief as Carlos Alcaraz announced his withdrawal from Wimbledon due to his wrist injury.

‘Need Someone To Remind You’ – Bianca Andreescu Addresses Gesture Toward Crying French Open Opponent

Bianca Andreescu won hearts of tennis fans around the world with her heartwarming action after consoling her opponent after their French Open qualifying match.