The Pittsburgh Penguins are making headlines again as ownership drama unfolds. Fenway Sports Group, which bought the team in 2021, is reportedly closing in on a sale to the Hoffmann Family of Companies for around $1.75 billion.
If the deal goes through, Pittsburgh will have changed hands thrice in just over a decade. But for fans worried about another front-office overhaul, there’s reassuring news about the man running hockey operations.
Is Kyle Dubas’ Future Secure With the Penguins?
Whenever ownership changes, management questions follow immediately. However, NHL insider Elliotte Friedman has already put those concerns to rest regarding general manager and president of hockey operations Kyle Dubas.
On his “32 Thoughts” podcast, Friedman clarified that Dubas isn’t going anywhere. “I don’t think this will affect Dubas at all, I think he’s gonna stay on in his current roles,” Friedman said.
Elliotte Friedman: Re Penguins ownership sale: I had some people asked me about Kyle Dubas, I don’t think this will affect Dubas at all, I think he’s gonna stay on in his current roles – 32 Thoughts Podcast (8/23)
— NHL Rumour Report (@NHLRumourReport) August 25, 2025
That stability matters, especially with the Penguins missing the playoffs three straight years. Fans are wondering whether new ownership would demand an immediate turnaround or stay patient with the rebuild that’s already in motion.
According to Friedman, patience remains the plan. He pointed out that Pittsburgh is one of the few NHL teams openly embracing a reset instead of clinging to short-term fixes that might not work.
Dubas has been in Pittsburgh for over two years, but his impact is already clear. After arriving in 2023, he reorganized the front office, stocking the roster with younger players while keeping veteran leaders as mentors.
This offseason reinforced that approach. The Penguins brought Jesse Puljujarvi, Cody Glass, Jack St. Ivany, and promising forward Rutger McGroarty. At the 2025 NHL Draft, they doubled down on youth, using three first-round picks on Benjamin Kindel, Bill Zonnon, and Will Horcoff.
✨The 2025 draft class✨ pic.twitter.com/6BeuKQxYWV
— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) June 30, 2025
The strategy is clear: Pittsburgh is building for its next generation, not chasing quick fixes. Dubas has said repeatedly that he wants prospects learning directly from established stars, making the eventual transition smoother when the time comes.
What Does the Ownership Sale Mean for Pittsburgh’s Future?
While Fenway Sports Group appears ready to move on, the team’s direction won’t change with new ownership. Friedman emphasized that the rebuild blueprint stays intact under the Hoffmann family’s expected leadership.
Former owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle explored rejoining the ownership group earlier this year but stepped aside as the team’s valuation climbed toward $1.75 billion. That cleared the path for the Florida-based Hoffmann family to emerge as the frontrunner.
Even though the Penguins aren’t built for a deep playoff run right now, their market strength remains solid. Attendance has softened slightly during the rebuild, but television numbers hold steady, and fan loyalty remains among the strongest in the NHL.
For supporters, the takeaway is simple: ownership may change hands again, but the franchise’s direction won’t. Dubas will continue steering the rebuild, investing in young talent, and working toward the day when Pittsburgh climbs back into playoff contention with a sustainable core.
