World No. 1 Jannik Sinner walked the busy streets of New York this week, putting to rest fears that illness might keep him from defending his US Open title. The sighting comes just days after the Italian was forced to retire mid-match against Carlos Alcaraz in the Cincinnati Open final, raising questions about whether tennis’ top player would be ready for the year’s final Grand Slam.
Jannik Sinner Makes Appearance in New York Amid Speculations Over Illness
Janniksin_Updates, Sinner’s fanpage on X, posted a brief clip showing the Italian casually strolling down a New York pavement. Alongside him were Umberto Ferrara and hitting partner Nico Inserra, suggesting the World No. 1’s preparation for the tournament remains on track.
The appearance of Ferrara proves particularly noteworthy. The fitness coach, who purchased the healing spray at the center of Sinner’s doping case, had exited the team amid the scandal. However, Sinner rehired him last month, signaling a return to his trusted support system.
The sighting comes amid intense speculation over Sinner’s ability to participate in the upcoming US Open. His illness forced him to withdraw from Cincinnati while trailing Alcaraz 0-5 in the first set, leaving fans wondering about his condition.
📍New York
Jan is there, Forza
🦊😉 pic.twitter.com/xaKXosMlTh
— Janniksin_Updates (@JannikSinner_Up) August 20, 2025
After retiring from the Cincinnati final, Sinner revealed he had been struggling with illness since Sunday. The withdrawal had a ripple effect beyond just the men’s singles, as he also pulled out of the revamped US Open mixed doubles event where he was set to play alongside doubles star Kateřina Siniaková. Americans Danielle Collins and Christian Harrison took the pair’s spot as first alternate.
Initially, Sinner was paired with WTA World No. 11 Emma Navarro, who had pulled out of the event to play the Monterrey Open instead.
Jannik Sinner Has Vowed to Compete at US Open Despite Cincinnati Setback
Despite the concerning Cincinnati exit, Sinner delivered an emotional apology to the crowd while making a crucial promise about his Grand Slam defense. His words suggested determination to compete despite the physical setback.
“I’m super, super sorry to disappoint you, but from yesterday, I didn’t feel great,” Sinner told fans in the aftermath of his retirement. “I thought that I would improve during the night, but I came up worse.”
Sinner continued with his explanation and commitment: “I tried to come out, tried to make it at least a small match, but I couldn’t handle more, so I’m very sorry.”
Most importantly for US Open fans, Sinner expressed confidence about his recovery timeline. During his speech, he emphasized that he hopes to be ready for the US Open after a “couple of days of recovery.”
Beyond just recovering from illness, Sinner has identified specific areas for improvement heading into the hardcourt Grand Slam. His focus remains technical as much as physical.
“The serve and serve percentage, we will work a lot on that,” the Italian said. “The physical part, of course, as we saw today, I need to recover, but also improve. And, and, yeah, everything together you know? You try to take out every zero point, whatever percentage, trying to get better.”
View this post on Instagram
The stakes couldn’t be higher for Sinner’s US Open defense. Last year, he defeated Taylor Fritz in the final, 6–3, 6–4, 7–5, to win his first US Open men’s singles title. Now he’ll attempt to become the first Italian to defend the crown on American hardcourts successfully.
