Tennis fans recently reacted to Reilly Opelka receiving a wildcard to partner with Venus Williams for the 2025 US Open mixed doubles after he made controversial comments about the relevance of doubles competition in tennis.
This year, the New York Major will introduce a revamped mixed doubles competition, scheduled for August 19 and 20, 2025, during US Open Fan Week at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
The mixed doubles event will feature an updated format, and the United States Tennis Association (USTA) has already announced several pairings, including the duo of Williams and Opelka.
What Do Fans Say About Venus Williams’ US Open Mixed Doubles Partner?
Opelka has been a vocal critic of doubles tennis, frequently voicing his disdain for the format. He has previously characterized doubles as a fallback option for players who have not succeeded in singles and asserted that there are no true “specialists” in the doubles competition.
“They should 100% get rid of dubs. It’s for failed singles players, there’s no such thing as a ‘doubles specialist.’ They don’t sell a single ticket, they take up practice courts/physios/resources, they don’t turn a profit, and they complain that they don’t make enough $$. That’s pretty greedy behavior if you ask me,” Opelka commented.
Given Opelka’s history of disparaging remarks about doubles, his acceptance of a wildcard to compete alongside Williams drew various reactions from tennis fans. Many took to social media to voice their frustrations, questioning the decision of the US Open organizers to include a player who has openly criticized the doubles format.
One fan remarked that granting a wildcard to Opelka, who has consistently belittled doubles tennis, is an “embarrassment” to the sport.
A fan posted how this idea did not make sense at all, and is wild.
Giving a guy who has insulted and denigrated doubles players and called for a complete removal of doubles tennis from tournaments a WILD CARD to a GS mixed DOUBLES event… while not giving the world no. 1 WTA and ATP doubles players direct entry is WILD!
What an embarrassment! https://t.co/Yplt8VMO1D
— til polarity’s end 🎾⚫⚪ (@lildarkcage) July 29, 2025
Another fan urged US Open officials to do better.
Giving Reilly Opelka a huge stage to play doubles on when he has openly called for doubles to be removed from the tour altogether and the prize money consolidated for singles players………
Whatever, the serve bot won’t have any touch at the net but cmon #USOpen – do better. https://t.co/8K9yaZ2kDZ
— Nick Angel (@Nick_Angel) July 29, 2025
One fan reacted a bit harshly, calling the whole thing a “f***ing joke“.
this draw is such a fucking joke. no team of the ATP and WTA world no. 1s in doubles AND giving opelka a wild card when he’s said doubles should be removed from the tour??? fuck right off with this bullshit draw https://t.co/DXT31ti58i
— hannah⚡️ (@hanabananawellz) July 29, 2025
One fan wrote how Opelka should receive the WC, sarcastically, of course.
Yes, let’s give a WC to the player who said that doubles should be removed from the tour 🙄🙄 https://t.co/QJTnCrLaQJ
— JEFtennis (@carattennis) July 29, 2025
A fan gave their reason for hating the slam.
You’re telling me that the man who said doubles is for failed single players/called for doubles to be scrapped is more worthy of a wc than Siniakova??
I hate this Slam sm https://t.co/AqRzapDaMC
— Béi 💫 (@WriterofQueen) July 30, 2025
In 2024, the Italian duo of Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori triumphed over the American team of Taylor Townsend and Donald Young with a scoreline of 7-6(0), 7-5 to win the US Open mixed doubles title. This year, Errani and Vavassori were also awarded a wildcard entry into the mixed doubles event at the New York Major.
