There may not be a blue-chip guard prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft, but there’s enough talent present to pique the interest of prospective suitors. Here’s a look at the 2023 guard class in its entirety — the top prospects, depth players, and the sleepers.
2023 Guard Draft Class
These are the guards for the 2023 NFL Draft, listed by last name in alphabetical order:
- Chris Anthony, Morgan State
- Steve Avila, TCU
- Henry Bainivalu, Washington
- T.J. Bass, Oregon
- Tyler Beach, Wisconsin
- Quinton Bobo, Bowie State
- Adonis Boone, Louisville
- Emanuel Boone, Fort Valley State
- Nick Broeker, Ole Miss
- Cobe Bryant, UNLV
- Jerome Carvin, Tennessee
- Drake Centers, Texas Southern
- Rehoboth Chibesa, Texas A&M-Commerce
- Isaac Cochran, Air Force
- Jeremy Cooper, Cincinnati
- McClendon Curtis, Chattanooga
- Braeden Daniels, Utah
- Gray Davis, Colorado State
- J.D. DiRenzo, Rutgers
- Tykeem Doss, Southern Miss
- Emil Ekiyor Jr., Alabama
- Mark Evans II, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
- Joey Fisher, Shepherd
- Dillan Gibbons, Florida State
- Phillip Grohovac, Western
- Jovaughn Gwyn, South Carolina
- Cortez Herrin, Alabama A&M
- Tyran Hunt, Old Dominion
- Samuel Jackson, UCF
- Nash Jensen, North Dakota State
- Jamezz Kimbrough, Central Michigan
- Brandon Kipper, Oregon State
- Jaxson Kirkland, Washington
- Josh Lugg, Notre Dame
- Atonio Mafi, UCLA
- Ilm Manning, Hawaii
- Tashawn Manning, Kentucky
- Jordan McFadden, Clemson
- Lorenz Metz, Cincinnati
- Grant Miller, Baylor
- Marcus Minor, Pittsburgh
- Henry Mitchell III, Benedict
- Robert Mitchell, North Carolina Central
- Solomon Ndukwe, Texas A&M-Commerce
- Loic Ngassam Nya, Wake Forest
- Cedrice Paillant, Marshall
- Jarrett Patterson, Notre Dame
- PJ Poutasi, Northern Arizona
- Kendall Randolph, Alabama
- Adam Riegler, Notre Dame (OH)
- DJ Scaife Jr., Miami (FL)
- Travis Sinclair, Bethel (TN)
- Sidy Sow, Eastern Michigan
- O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida
- Anthony Vandal, Sherbrooke
- Micah Vanterpool, Hawaii
- Andrew Vorhees, USC
- Anthony Whigan, Akron
- Wade Willet, Sam Houston State
- Brian Williams, Southern
- Chandler Zavala, NC State
Who Are the Top Guards in the 2023 NFL Draft?
For many, the question is top “guard” — singular. There might have been a lengthier discussion, had prospects like Kansas State’s Cooper Beebe, Michigan transfer LaDarius Henderson, and Texas A&M’s Layden Robinson declared. But all three of those players returned to school, leaving O’Cyrus Torrence unopposed at the top of the class.
That’s not to say Torrence didn’t earn his place. He certainly did. After transferring from Louisiana to Florida — following head coach Billy Napier — Torrence excelled at right guard for the Gators, using his elite power and heavy hands at 6’6″, 330 pounds to dominate opposing defenders. He showed that same dominant skill set at the Senior Bowl.
If any guard is going to crack late Round 1 territory, Torrence has the best chance. That said, there are others to note in the early-round conversation.
TCU’s Steve Avila is a rock-solid interior presence with center experience, who likely boosted his stock in Mobile as well. Notre Dame’s Jarrett Patterson wasn’t quite as strong or consistent, but he’s a stellar athlete with good technique and similar versatility.
All this being said, the middle and later rounds is where the money will be made in the 2023 guard class. Finding those hidden gems will be especially rewarding this year, as the class is impressively deep and filled with potential value acquisitions. Some of those sleeper prospects — among them Atonio Mafi, Chandler Zavala, Jovaughn Gwyn, Jaxson Kirkland, and McClendon Curtis — made themselves known on the all-star circuit.
Other sleepers in the 2023 NFL Draft group include Oregon State’s Brandon Kipper, Eastern Michigan’s Sidy Sow, Ole Miss’ Nick Broeker, and Oregon’s T.J. Bass. Additionally, tackle-to-guard converts like Mark Evans II, Jordan McFadden, and Braeden Daniels all have the athleticism and natural leverage to flourish on the inside.
Listen to the PFN Scouting Podcast
Listen to the PFN Scouting Podcast! Click the embedded player below to listen, or you can find the PFN Scouting Podcast on iTunes, Spotify, and all major podcast platforms. Be sure to subscribe and leave us a five-star review! Rather watch instead? Check out the PFN Scouting Podcast on our Scouting YouTube channel.