The Sacramento Kings are in deep trouble this season. Despite having former All-Stars such as DeMar DeRozan, Zach LaVine, and Russell Westbrook leading the charge, the Kings have found themselves in last place in the Western Conference.
With that said, an NBA insider has revealed what direction the Kings plan to take in the near future, particularly regarding LaVine.
Sacramento Kings Ready To Move On From Zach LaVine
Last season, the Chicago Bulls shipped LaVine to the Kings via a three-team trade. The Bulls were able to get their 2025 first-round pick back, while the San Antonio Spurs received De’Aaron Fox and Jordan McLaughlin.
During LaVine’s time with the Bulls, he made a name for himself. He earned two All-Star nods, seemingly helping elevate Chicago back into relevance. However, no significant playoff run ever came to fruition, which ultimately led the Bulls to move on from LaVine.
Unfortunately for the high-flying guard, it appears the Kings now feel the same way. NBA insider Jake Weinbach reported that Sacramento plans to part ways with LaVine soon, though doing so may be easier said than done.
Given that the Kings currently hold an 8-30 record, LaVine’s trade value is low. That is compounded by the $96 million remaining on his contract. It will be difficult for Sacramento to find another team willing to absorb that salary for a guard who has struggled to elevate a team’s performance.
While the Milwaukee Bucks have previously expressed interest in trading for LaVine, there does not appear to be a strong market for the Kings guard.
“I believe the Kings would prefer to move on from Zach LaVine, but his value remains low, largely due to the $96M tied to his contract over the next two years,” Weinbach reported on X. “Outside of the Bucks, who have reportedly shown interest, there really isn’t a market for the two-time All-Star guard.”
I believe the Kings would prefer to move on from Zach LaVine, but his value remains low, largely due to the $96M tied to his contract over the next two years.
Outside of the Bucks, who have reportedly shown interest, there really isn’t a market for the two-time All-Star guard.
— Jake Weinbach (@JWeinbachNBA) January 11, 2026
LaVine has become increasingly injury-prone and no longer produces at the level he did during his two consecutive All-Star seasons with the Bulls. This season, LaVine is averaging 20.0 points, 3.0 rebounds, and 2.4 assists while shooting 37.6% from deep, his worst mark since 2022-23.
