Lakers Legend Urges Rob Pelinka To Trade Away Austin Reaves, and the Reason Is Luka Dončić

NBA legend weighs in on Austin Reaves' future as the Lakers lock in Luka Dončić as the team's centerpiece.

When Luka Dončić put pen to paper on a massive $165 million contract extension with the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, it immediately reshaped the franchise’s long-term vision. But the ripple effects are already sparking tough conversations about who fits alongside him.

Lakers legend Robert Horry has weighed in with a strong opinion on Austin Reaves’ future, and his take may surprise fans. The seven-time NBA champion believes Reaves could be the odd man out because of Dončić’s arrival.

Robert Horry’s Take on Austin Reaves’ Future With the Lakers

The Lakers are still figuring out what their backcourt will look like now that Dončić is the centerpiece of the franchise. That spotlight naturally shifts attention onto Reaves, whose role could either expand as Luka’s running mate or shrink depending on fit. It’s a debate that has already spilled beyond the locker room, and one Lakers legend isn’t convinced Reaves should stay.

Speaking on the Big Shot Bob Podcast on September 19, Horry shared his unfiltered thoughts when the subject of Reaves came up.

“If the Lakers were smart, they would do a sign-and-trade,” Horry said. “And the reason I say that is because when you have a team with two players who are pretty much the same, meaning Luka and AR, and I’m not saying they have the same skill set. They play the same position, they pretty much do the same thing.”

The remarks came during a discussion about how Los Angeles should approach Reaves’ future. With Dončić officially locked in through a three-year extension signed in August, the team has made him the franchise centerpiece, shaping the roster around his strengths and weaknesses.

Reaves, meanwhile, has proven himself as one of the Lakers’ most dependable scorers and playmakers. He posted averages of 20.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 5.8 assists last season. Still, concerns linger about the defensive fit between him and Dončić.

Both guards are stronger on offense than on defense, and in a postseason setting, that combination could be a problem if opponents target them on switches.

Horry’s suggestion of a potential sign-and-trade adds another wrinkle to what was already a complicated decision. Reaves turned down a four-year, $89.2 million extension earlier this offseason, signaling his intent to test free agency. With a $14.9 million player option after this year, the 27-year-old could decline and spark a bidding war on the open market.

What Could Be Reaves’ New Role Alongside Luka Dončić?

Reaves’ production hasn’t gone unnoticed, and his partnership with Dončić has already given the Lakers a balanced backcourt: Dončić as the primary playmaker and Reaves as a secondary scorer. After Luka arrived in early February, Reaves’ efficiency climbed, with his scoring and shooting percentages improving as he adjusted to playing off the ball.

Last season, he averaged shooting 46% from the floor and 37.7% from three. The numbers told the story of a player thriving in a hybrid role. But the Lakers’ long-term vision may require him to shift even further away from ball-handling duties.

Before Dončić’s arrival, Reaves often acted as Los Angeles’ secondary facilitator, handling the ball and initiating offense. Now, he will likely spend more time working without the ball, finding openings off passes from Dončić or LeBron James.

According to reporting from ClutchPoints insider Anthony Irwin, Reaves has been preparing for that adjustment. He has focused on strength training this offseason while honing his shooting and driving skills to attack off the catch.

The shift could be critical for his role in Los Angeles, especially with the Lakers aiming for another championship run in a loaded Western Conference.

Free Tools from PFSN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Free Tools from PFSN