’Going To Get Ugly’ — NBA World Reacts As Bucks Accuse Giannis Antetokounmpo of Refusing to Scrimmage

The Milwaukee Bucks telling investigators that Giannis Antetokounmpo refused to scrimmage raises questions about an ugly separation.

The Milwaukee Bucks just threw gasoline on an already raging fire. According to ESPN’s Shams Charania, the franchise told NBA investigators that Giannis Antetokounmpo declined to participate in 3-on-3 scrimmages as part of his return-to-play protocol from a mid-March knee injury.

The disclosure comes as the league investigates conflicting statements between the two-time MVP and the organization over his availability.

Antetokounmpo has publicly stated he’s healthy and ready to play. The Bucks have refused to clear him. Now, fans are watching a franchise relationship unravel in real time.

The Bucks-Giannis Antetokounmpo Feud Reaches a Breaking Point

Antetokounmpo hyperextended his left knee and suffered a bone bruise during a win over the Indiana Pacers on March 15. He hasn’t played since. Milwaukee was eliminated from playoff contention last week, ending a nine-year postseason streak.

With nothing left to play for, the franchise approached Antetokounmpo about shutting it down for the remainder of the season. He refused.

“I’m available to play, but I’m not in the game,” Antetokounmpo told reporters before Friday’s loss to Boston. “I’m available to play today. Right now. I’m available.”

The Bucks’ claim that Antetokounmpo declined to scrimmage complicates his position. If true, it raises questions about whether the two-time MVP is fully committed to the return protocol or simply wants to make a statement about his readiness. The team hasn’t elaborated beyond the scrimmage detail, and Antetokounmpo hasn’t addressed it directly.

Bucks coach Doc Rivers has made clear he wants no part of this. “The tough part about all this is that I’m in the middle and I have nothing to do with it,” Rivers said after Friday’s 133-101 loss. “Coaches don’t decide any of this.”

Fans aren’t buying the dysfunction as anything other than the beginning of the end.

“Yeah it’s over man this is going to get messy,” GiannisMuse posted on X.

NBA analyst Ti Windisch echoed the sentiment: “This is going to get ugly.”

Andy Bailey called the whole saga “funny for months” and said it was “now approaching hilarious.”

Meanwhile, Omer Osman took a shot at Charania’s reporting cadence, writing that the ESPN insider “can’t wait to break the news of Giannis playing for a new team.”

Vinay K. summed up the broader feeling: “this is all headed to a separation but the way we are getting to the exit is so bizarre.”

The Bucks and Antetokounmpo were heavily linked to trade rumors before the February deadline. Nothing materialized. But with his contract expiring after 2027-28 and an opt-out available after next season, the leverage is shifting.

Milwaukee now has five games left in a lost season and a fractured relationship with its franchise cornerstone. If the NBA finds the Bucks violated the player participation policy, financial penalties could follow. But the real damage may already have been done.

Free Tools from PFSN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Free Tools from PFSN