The Kawhi Leonard-Aspiration scandal kicked off after the NBA began investigating potential salary cap circumvention by Steve Ballmer and the Los Angeles Clippers. The investigation began in September 2025, with investigative journalist Pablo Torre frequently reporting on the saga. The Clippers recently agreed to trade Leonard to the Toronto Raptors, but the deal is on hold until the league finishes its investigation.
Leonard is potentially looking at a range of punishments, from a suspension to even a voided contract. However, after ESPN reported that the league has not found any evidence that Ballmer funneled money through Aspiration or any team-connected sponsors to compensate Leonard, the NBA world had strong reactions.
NBA Fans Can’t Believe ESPN Report That Steve Ballmer Didn’t Funnel Money to Kawhi Leonard
The presumption was that Torre had already presented evidence that supported the circumvention claim, with a range of social media users comparing the situation to the March 2024 gambling scandal that involved Los Angeles Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani and his former interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara.
Leonard reportedly signed a four-year, $28 million endorsement deal with Aspiration, a firm that was found to have substantial financial ties to the Clippers owner. Ballmer even reportedly invested around $50 million of his own money, with the Clippers also understood to previously have a $300 million partnership agreement with the company.
However, despite the range of evidence that Torre and others presented, Ballmer has reportedly been cleared of the major allegation that he funneled payments to Leonard.
According to ESPN, the NBA is now “focused on whether the team’s introduction of Leonard to team sponsors constitutes a violation of the league’s rules prohibiting salary cap circumvention,” and is examining whether the Clippers are guilty of “failure to supervise” employees, two sources said.
Per ESPN, two sources familiar with the NBPA’s thinking and the arbitration process said an argument that introducing Leonard to sponsors would constitute salary cap circumvention would be “dead on arrival.”
However, shortly after this piece was published, NBA spokesman Mike Bass pushed back on ESPN’s reporting in a statement:
“ESPN’s article regarding the LA Clippers investigation — for which the NBA declined to cooperate — contains numerous and significant inaccuracies. The results in this matter will be made clear once the investigation is concluded.”
NBA fans were quick to react to ESPN’s reporting, and they weren’t buying that the league couldn’t find any evidence of Ballmer funneling money to Aspiration.
“HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah this sport is broken,” one X user wrote.
HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah this sport is broken
— ForgetToListen (@ForgetToListen) August 17, 2026
Others, meanwhile, claimed that the NBA was effectively acting blind, with a range of reports suggesting that there was plenty of evidence supporting Torre’s claims.
“The NBA when the richest owner in the league breaks the rules,” one fan captioned a fitting meme from “The Simpsons.”
The NBA when the richest owner in the league breaks the rules pic.twitter.com/3WWUj43Zlq
— Hash n Hoops (@HashnHoops) August 17, 2026
The NBA hired Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz to conduct the investigation, interviewing Leonard, Dennis Robertson, Ballmer, Clippers executives and former Aspiration officials while reviewing extensive documentation tied to the deal. However, investigators were reportedly unable to establish that Ballmer had indeed directed Aspiration to pay Leonard, negotiated the endorsement, or used the agreement to circumvent salary cap rules.
“No evidence just seems untrue,” one user pushed back.
No evidence just seems untrue. https://t.co/5IHoYZ7hEZ
— Pranav Sriraman (@PranavSriraman) August 17, 2026
Another fan took direct aim at NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, suggesting that he was effectively wearing a blindfold through the ordeal.
“Adam Silver looking for fraud,” the user captioned a still from “Bird Box.”
Adam Silver looking for fraud pic.twitter.com/u0qnxZ3eQ1
— yerT (@yerTCeltics) August 17, 2026
Another user on social media thought that the outcome would be particularly disturbing for Torre, who spent months presenting evidence and building his case.
Live look at Pablo Torre: pic.twitter.com/Zj9tg0WV8k
— pคl๓trēēpคpi (@Palmtreepapi23) August 17, 2026
Of course, Torre suggested that he will eventually address the league’s latest findings in a new episode of his podcast.
It must also be noted that the league has since issued an official statement claiming that the ESPN article that initially claimed Ballmer had not been found guilty contained “numerous and significant inaccuracies” and that the result will be made clear “once the investigation is concluded.”
Regardless, fans on social media appear to have already made up their minds, and the coming days should reveal more about the actual situation.
