On the path to the Super Bowl, one of the first stops is the NFL Pro Bowl. Since its inception in 1951, the event has showcased some of the best and brightest of the game. Which NFL players have been to the most Pro Bowls in history?
Who Holds the Record for the Most Pro Bowl Appearances in NFL History?
Making it to the Pro Bowl is an honor. It’s a virtual who’s who of NFL talent. And wouldn’t you know, there is only one player who has been to more than any other, and I bet you can guess who it is already.
Yup, that’s right, it’s the G.O.A.T. himself, Tom Brady. Making an NFL-best 15 appearances, Brady became the leader in appearances last season, breaking a five-way tie. He was coming off a season where he set new career highs in completions (485), yards (5,316), and touchdowns (43).
This year, Brady’s numbers were down significantly. And, after a lackluster season that saw the Buccaneers win the NFC South with an 8-9 record, Brady was not selected for this year’s Pro Bowl. That ultimately wouldn’t have mattered, because a few days before the game, Brady announced his “official” retirement from the NFL.
Of current active NFL players, only Aaron Rodgers (10) and WR/ST Matthew Slater (10) have been to double-digit Pro Bowls.
Who Has Been to the Most Consecutive Pro Bowls?
It’s one thing to make it. It’s an entirely different ball game to make it to the Pro Bowl year in and year out. It takes consistency, durability, and playing at the highest level. No one personifies this more than Merlin Olsen, who played defensive tackle for the Los Angeles Rams from 1962 to 1976.
Olsen was selected to the Pro Bowl 14 straight times, only missing out in the last year of his career. He was a five-time first-team All-Pro, five-time second-team All-Pro, and the 1962 Rookie of the Year. Additionally, Olsen is a member of the 1960s and 1970s All-Decade Teams, NFL 75th Anniversary Team, and NFL 100th Anniversary Team.
Only OL Bruce Matthews, TE Tony Gonzalez, and QB Peyton Manning share this honor with 14 Pro Bowl appearances. Brady was a part of this group until this season. He also appeared in 10 straight Pro Bowls, the most of any active player.
Players Who Have Been to the Most Pro Bowls in NFL History
Below is a list of the 20 players who have been to the most Pro Bowls in NFL history since the inaugural game in 1951.
- QB Tom Brady – 15 (2001-2021)
- TE Tony Gonzalez – 14 (1999-2013)
- QB Peyton Manning – 14 (1999-2014)
- OL Bruce Matthews – 14 (1988-2001)
- DL Merlin Olsen – 14 (1962-1975
- QB Drew Brees – 13 (2004-2019)
- WR Jerry Rice – 13 (1986-2002)
- DL Reggie White – 13 (1986-1998)
- CB Champ Bailey – 12 (2000-2012)
- DB Ken Houston – 12 (1968-1979)
- LB Ray Lewis– 12 (1997-2011)
- OL Randall McDaniel – 12 (1989-2000)
- OL Jim Otto – 12 (1961-1972)
- LB Junior Seau – 12 (1991-2002)
- OL Will Shields – 12 (1995-2006)
- OL Larry Allen – 11 (1995-2006)
- LB Derrick Brooks – 11 (1997-2008)
- QB Brett Favre – 11 (1992 to 1992-2009)
- WR Larry Fitzgerald – 11 (2005-2017)
- DT Bob Lilly – 11 (1962-1973)