With Anthony Davis’ future with the Dallas Mavericks uncertain, multiple NBA teams are expected to show significant interest in acquiring his services. One of the teams that may be in the mix would be the Golden State Warriors.
However, one NBA insider explained why that may not come to fruition in the near future.

Warriors’ Reported Stance on Anthony Davis
Davis is going through his 14th season in the league, his second with the Mavericks. He landed in Dallas after then-general manager Nico Harrison made the controversial decision to acquire him from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for franchise star Luka Doncic.
Harrison made the move to elevate the team’s chances for title contention, supposedly. However, that concept hasn’t panned out, as the Mavericks failed to make the playoffs last season. Following a poor start to the 2025-26 campaign, the franchise made the move to fire then-general manager Nico Harrison in November 2025.
What’s next on the list would be what they do with Davis. As the star big man would best fit a team in playoff contention, rather than one preparing for a rebuild, Dallas would likely receive calls from teams offering solid packages to secure his services. The Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks, and Warriors stand out as potential candidates as they would significantly benefit their respective frontcourts with his two-way talents.
However, NBA insider Marc Stein cleared the air regarding Golden State’s interest in Davis. While the franchise has reportedly had internal discussions about pursuing him, Stein wrote that Davis’ contract and injury history have held back the organization from carrying out the possible decision.
“The Warriors have held a longstanding fondness for Davis and I’m told that they have indeed had some internal discussions about pursuing him, but they do not appear to be actively doing so six-ish weeks out from the deadline. Golden State, for starters, has no realistic pathway to acquire Davis unless it is also willing to part with Jimmy Butler or franchise fixture Draymond Green,” Stein wrote.
“I’m likewise told that Davis’ contract – with potentially two years still left on it if the 32-year-old exercises his $62.7 million player option in 2027-28 – and the injury woes he has endured since becoming a Maverick have thrust a measure of pause into Golden State’s deliberations.”
What’s Next on Schedule for Warriors?
The Warriors would certainly value Davis’ skillset with his ability to space the floor while providing high-quality defense. However, they would be right to see that his struggles to stay on the court would further hinder their ceiling if they were to make the move. It would be best for them to wait and see if he can figure out that problem in a significant manner.
In the meantime, Golden State will strive to establish winning consistency as the team attempts to keep its veteran star core, comprising Stephen Curry, Jimmy Butler III, and Draymond Green, healthy this season. The team possesses a 16-16 record so far, holding the eighth spot in the Western Conference standings.
They are above the Memphis Grizzlies by one game and the Portland Trail Blazers by three games, but are behind the Phoenix Suns by 2.5 games and the Minnesota Timberwolves by four games.
Searching for a big win streak, the Warriors will resume their three-game road trip as they prepare for the second matchup. They face the Brooklyn Nets on Dec. 29 at 7:30 p.m. ET before taking on the Charlotte Hornets on Dec. 31 at 1 p.m. ET.
