After 22 seasons in the NBA, most athletes would be planning their retirement party.
Not LeBron James.
On Sunday, James shut down the retirement rumors by opting in to his $52.6 million player option with the Los Angeles Lakers. Next year will be James’ 23rd NBA season, which will break Vince Carter’s record for the most seasons played in league history.
James’ agent, Rich Paul, made it clear that the legend still has some unfinished business, as he’s determined to hoist the Larry O’Brien Trophy one more time before walking away.
LeBron James Opts Into $52.6 Million Player Option With Lakers
There had been speculation that James might finally call it a career, especially as he approaches his 41st birthday. After all, he has already accomplished nearly everything in basketball.
However, he isn’t ready to walk away just yet, as ESPN’s NBA insider Shams Charania reported on X.
Breaking: Los Angeles Lakers’ LeBron James is opting into his $52.6 million player option for the 2025-26 season, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul told ESPN.
Paul adds: LeBron “knows the Lakers are building for the future … but he values a realistic chance of winning it all.” pic.twitter.com/q5mT1O2R35
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) June 29, 2025
The four-time NBA champion could have opted out and tested free agency or signed a new deal with the Lakers. Instead, he opted in and will receive his full $52.6 million, which is currently the 14th-highest salary in the NBA next season. Paul made it clear that James’ main goal is to add a fifth championship ring to his collection.
“LeBron wants to compete for a championship,” Paul told ESPN. “He knows the Lakers are building for the future. He understands that, but he values a realistic chance of winning it all. We are very appreciative of the partnership that we’ve had for eight years with Jeanie [Buss] and Rob [Pelinka] and consider the Lakers as a critical part of his career.
“We understand the difficulty in winning now while preparing for the future. We do want to evaluate what’s best for LeBron at this stage in his life and career. He wants to make every season he has left count, and the Lakers understand that, are supportive and want what’s best for him.”
This quote turned some heads, as Paul seems to suggest that James will request a trade if the Lakers don’t make win-now moves this offseason. Charania also hinted at this, writing that James “wants to compete for a championship next season and potentially beyond and will be closely monitoring the Lakers’ moves and whether the team is positioning itself this offseason to field a title-contending roster.”
James has already won one title with the Lakers. That came in 2020, when he led the team to a 4–2 NBA Finals win over the Miami Heat and earned Finals MVP honors in the NBA Bubble.
In July 2024, James agreed to a two-year, $101.35 million contract with the Lakers. After signing that contract, Lakers fans were hopeful that another title run was within reach with “The King” leading the team.
After last year’s shocking trade for Luka Dončić, the Lakers certainly seem like a legit contender entering the 2025-26 season. If Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka and his staff can add a starting-caliber center this offseason, Los Angeles could be scary.
MORE: NBA Insider Reveals 3 Centers the Lakers Will Target in Free Agency
James continues to fight back against Father Time and put up impressive statistics despite his age and the many NBA miles on his body. Last year, he averaged 24.4 points, 8.2 assists, and 7.8 rebounds while shooting over 51% from the field.
Now, he’ll be back for a record-breaking 23rd NBA season — either with the Lakers or another contender, depending on what unfolds this summer.
